Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im nw to the site but not new to Camaros or camaro sites.I have a 94 Z28 LT1.I have did may upgrades to it.Now im, getting ready to build a stronger engine.Im going to build a nice street engine to play around with back here.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Welcome to Team Camaro!

Lots of us (I had a 96 Z28 convertible that I bought new - traded it in on the 2002 I still have) have had 4th gens - LT1 and LS1.

I'll assume you don't have to pass any emissions where you live. When I moved back to Cali (I lived in AZ for 10 years) I had to put my full bolt ons 2002 Z28 back to stock.

Is your 94 still fuel injected or did you go carb? I ask as 94's are sorta hard to monkey with computerwise (OBDI).

With regards to a stronger engine many folks I know use an LT4 aftermarket intake setup and use a stroker crank to get 383 cid.

Unless you go forced induction remember this, "There ain't no replacement for cubic inch displacement!"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just joined. I bored & rebuilt 327 from RS to 300+ hp, 2bbl. OMG, when the rings set what a joy. After weighting the rod caps I ground 'm to equal weight thinking that there would be less sling vibration from their weight differences. Then I weighed the rods and they were all over the place, so had to grind the tops to get the pair to equal. Then I assembled the pin offsets to center of eng. (that was in a '70-sumpthin Vette tech spec. which turns out Smokey Yunich (Hey Smokey) put in his patent for the Adiabatic engine (except he said toward direction of rotation)). I had a thermoquad atop a tunnel ram but didn't start, flooded. Put on a Carter, flooded. Had to adapt the orig. Holley 350 cfm 2 bbl on the ram through hood. Fired, but shook like hell. I knew the rods were gonna go, dammit. Changed oil after 50 mi and again at 300. But this time I used 3 qt 50 wt Quaker racing oil, gratis Laguna Seca and 2 qt 70 wt Chevron EP Borate, Monterey Peninsula college...It came to life with only some shake which subsided noticeably fast! With the 2bbl it wouldn't run well til 2,200 then went fast as it could to 4,500 & poop out. Many changes of cam, heads, intakes, clutches, trans, bells to tone it down from burning up clutches. A 1st gen Camaro 3-spd synchro first gear, lower than any of the 4-spds. & a Zoomie clutch & PP. Never had a 4 bbl & when in my '65 El Camino (2:1 rear!) it got 23 mpg. It went ~85k mi with a 500 cfm Holley 2 bbl (that was too much air!) and I was forced to sell it but before I did, tuned 'er up and took buyer to fwy and slowly gassed it, full throttle @ 2,200 & secondary system kicked & 55 to 60 in 1st, grabbed 2nd well onto fwy. It actually scared this guy! Well, I had advance pkg. timing, MSD 6 and Blue Point(s) and set the timing by ear while fiddling dwell. Found the sweet spot and locked 'er down. Then I had to step jets from 63 -> 61. A month later I checked dwell on scope and it was set at 9°, mebbe 10 but you know it's supposed to be 28-31°. I never changed the tune! and it was sweet for the lg journal 327. 302 next!

·
Registered
3 Posts
p.s. Oh yes, the 1st cam used was new Erson 0.450" 310° and ended up with RV of short duration; double humper heads and ended up with power packs. Hooker hedders port matched, intake too (I was on a budget 37 years ago). Also made a 3" crossover just past the collectors when in the '65 El Camino. That made a big difference in back pressure and in part, why smaller jets & very low dwell worked so well accidentally, ear tuned. MSD & Accel coil note: The 9-10° dwell set up with MSD only works when adjustable points are used and high quality (Blue Point), at that. Lastly, the smoke from odd bank went away when these changes were implemented. The used Power pack heads I cleaned and just honed the seats using 200 grit Silicon Carbide added to compound, chucking valve to hand drill. So the source of the odd bank smoke must have been from the Intake guides though exhausts seemed looser. Anyway, it all got burnt, totally... Just an observation. Engine went another 80k mi. over 20 years without losing any of its performance, even when I pulled the MSD & hot coil to let Dad use it till he passed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts