Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know what size drill bit to use to make the rivet holes bigger for the replacement ball joint mounting bolts?
also is it normal for the new ball joint bolt holes to line up with the control arm holes?
thank you
Steve

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have never drilled any out either. Grind the head off the rivet and drive it out with a punch, then bolt in the new joint.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I've never had to drill any out, except for my new SC&C control arms. They came in drilled for the newer style "metric?" balljoints. The holes were "oh so close"

Are you positive you got the right ball joints?
The right ones should just drop in, bolts and all.

·
Super Moderator
33,581 Posts
Ball joint hardware is 1/4 inch diameter. As said, should fit.

If not, one can use a 9/32 inch drill bit to clearance the holes for a 1/4 bolt.

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is the base of the ball joint supposed to fit snug in the opening of the control arm?
mine does not. it has alot of play

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
They shouldnt have a ton of play, but there is definitely enough clearance in the upper ball joints to be able to put them in place by hand. That's why they use mounting hardware (rivets/bolts) rather than press fit.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
My brother installed new ball joints in my car tonight. I bought MOOG brand from O'Reilly's and there was NO drilling. They just bolted on.
That reminds me of a time when I jammed a lower ball joint in the press one time. Just needed one, so I went to the local parts store. The Duralast (A-Z) lower ball joint was waaaay too small. Went next door to O'Reilly's and their ball joint fit right. Not sure if the uppers are the same scenario.

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what part number is the moog ball joint for 69 camaro?
i got mine from rick's and they are GM resto licensed part

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
is the base of the ball joint supposed to fit snug in the opening of the control arm?
mine does not. it has alot of play

Do you have the metal shell and boot over the balljoint? It all gets put together, and then drops down through the top of the UCA. If you are putting the BJ in and then trying to put the boot and retainer on from the underside, that would account for the slop in the fit.

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no mine is pre assembled the one thing that i am worried is that the bolt holes on the ball joint don't line up with the holes in the CA. i can get one side lined up but then the other is waaay off

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i got new joints from my local parts store. i even brought in my a-arm to match it up there and they lined up perfectly. just need to open the bolt holes in the a-arm ever so slightly.
thanks for everyones help
Steve

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi, I have a question regarding the installation of these ball joints. I have the bolt going from top to bottom, and I was told the it should be the other way around. The reasoning was that the grease cup will rub the ends of the bolt and break it. Does anyone know whether or not this is true? I cannot stand to see the bolts in upside down. Actually I had bought the rivets, but no one would install them. I'm still pretty upset about that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.