Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 327 mostly original engine. Aftermarket valve covers were pitted to hell from previous restoration done 7 years ago. I replaced with matching orange valve covers. The pitted ones had two oil breather push ins. One was just a push in and the other had a push in attached to a pcv valve where the hose just ran nowhere.

Ok so i replaced with new covers, put in 1 new push in oil breather and left the other open (kit only came with 1). Started the car ran a little bit and it was leaking oil pretty bad. I am assuming its because of the removed oil breather with the pcv valve.

Since I was going to replace the older pcv valve, was the setup correct with the hose going nowhere or should that be running into the carb?

Attached is my carb setup now. I think that there is a hose now from the carb going down the engine for a draft setup (hose on the right).

I see an available port on the carb, the right one. Would I be able to run a hose from the pcv valve to this port on the carb or will that not solve anything.

Im hoping that the sudden major oil leak was due to me removing the older pcv valve setup.

Carb setup:

This was the pcv valve with nowhere hose I removed:

Appreciate any input.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The far left port is your ported vacuum, the far right is your manifold vacuum, and the one in the middle should be going to your PCV.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hose in the middle is going down the engine. I imagine for a draft setup. Should I leave it as is or take that out and run it to the pcv valve?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
When you say oil was everywhere, I'm assuming you are meaning thru the valve cover hole that you left open correct? Were your new covers baffled? If the hose was going from the car to nowhere, then yes, I would hook it back up to the PCV in the valve cover. Make sure that you have the correct PCV for your car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually was not leaking from the hole. I was thinking maybe from the valve somewhere. It was not leaking like that previously. The new covers are baffled.

Just to clarify, remove the old hose from the carb that is going down the engine and connect a new hose to the pcv?

·
Premium Member
3,566 Posts
Yes the hose from the carb should be attached to the PCV valve. If it is set up like a draft I would call it a vacuum leak

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Your photos don't really show your valve cover situation.

The factory setup is usually the least difficult to pull off.

Get the proper VC grommet for a push-in PCV at the front of the driver's VC. Buy a 90 degree PCV from the store, push it into the VC and run a length of hose from the PCV to the middle front fitting of your carburetor.

For the passenger side (VC hole to the rear), get the proper VC grommet for a push-in air cleaner base elbow. Get the elbow and it's corresponding short length of hose and connect to air cleaner base. If you don't HAVE a factory style air cleaner base that accepts this type of connection; then use a regular push-in VC breather that doesn't have a hose fitting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Based on the responses looks like it is recommended to ditch the draft hose and run a hose from the pcv to the middle plug on the carb where the draft hose is currently plugged in to.

Since i did not post pictures of the current valves

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
The driver's side VC has the hole in the right spot. The passenger side will work with your particular fuel line arrangement, but most folks flip the VC so the push-in breather is in the rear.

The rubber fuel hose is not ideal, but OK. The glass fuel filter is not.

The coil looks a little floppy with it's firewall mount and the electrical taped extended coil connections could be improved (especially with a glass fuel filter nearby). Any reason you didn't mount the coil to the intake manifold OEM style using stock length coil connections?

I also see you made the trip all the way to the front of the engine for the oil pressure fitting. There is a more convenient port at the back of the engine near the distributor (driver's side). If you are using the gauge in conjunction with the idiot light sender, use a T connector.

You do have a cap for your right most front carb vacuum fitting, right?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yep. Your PCV will plug right into the vacant hole in the VC, with a hose running from it to the center port on the carb.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The driver's side VC has the hole in the right spot. The passenger side will work with your particular fuel line arrangement, but most folks flip the VC so the push-in breather is in the rear.

The rubber fuel hose is not ideal, but OK. The glass fuel filter is not.

The coil looks a little floppy with it's firewall mount and the electrical taped extended coil connections could be improved (especially with a glass fuel filter nearby). Any reason you didn't mount the coil to the intake manifold OEM style using stock length coil connections?

I also see you made the trip all the way to the front of the engine for the oil pressure fitting. There is a more convenient port at the back of the engine near the distributor (driver's side). If you are using the gauge in conjunction with the idiot light sender, use a T connector.

You do have a cap for your right most front carb vacuum fitting, right?
Thanks for the tips. This was the setup the was done when i purchased the car 8 years ago. I cant take credit for any of the work that was done.

The fuel filter was leaking at some point a few years ago. I doubt it was the original but it looked old enough to be so i kept it anyways. I replaced with the crappy glass one on a whim and never got around the replacing with an oem one. It is leaking again so i need to get it done.

I actually dont have a cap for the front carb vacuum fitting. I actually never really paid attention to it till you pointed it out. I guess that is something that needs to be addressed.

Thanks again for all the input guys.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is it possibly that is an older block as in 67 or older with the pcv hole in back by the distributor? Just asking since the original pcv hose was going back to that area. It would not hurt to check and see it their is a fitting on back of engine next to the oil pressure sending unit. I cannot imagine you have been running it that way for 8 years with open vacuum hose, it had to of been connect to something.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
With the carb's full vacuum port blocked with a cap and your PCV situation sorted, your engine will run amazingly better.

With the coil moved to the OEM intake manifold location and the glass fuel filter eliminated, your chances of sudden immolation will go down drastically.

Sooner the better.

We mostly ALL start with someone else's used car "engineering", the trick is not to perish from it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have a few more questions now that i am digging into this a bit more..

Is it possible that the old breather with the pcv that had the short hose going nowhere was once plugged into the far right port on the carb that is now showing open? Below is a pic of what it would have looked like set up. Hose is not the right size for the port but fits in loosely.

Also noticed these two open pieces behind the passenger side valve cover. Should there be some type of hose running into them?

I had to move my car this morning and had it only running for a few minutes and later came back to a nice pool of oil. I am starting to think maybe there is another issue. I dont have the ability to get under the car right now but will have to investigate it more. I cant really tell where it is coming from but its leaking on the headers and causing a ton of smoke.

Thanks again. Looking forward to your guys input.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Have a few more questions now that i am digging into this a bit more..

Is it possible that the old breather with the pcv that had the short hose going nowhere was once plugged into the far right port on the carb that is now showing open? Below is a pic of what it would have looked like set up. Hose is not the right size for the port but fits in loosely.

Also noticed these two open pieces behind the passenger side valve cover. Should there be some type of hose running into them?

I had to move my car this morning and had it only running for a few minutes and later came back to a nice pool of oil. I am starting to think maybe there is another issue. I dont have the ability to get under the car right now but will have to investigate it more. I cant really tell where it is coming from but its leaking on the headers and causing a ton of smoke.

Thanks again. Looking forward to your guys input.
I suppose someone could have hooked up the PCV to the manifold vacuum port, but not sure why they would do that. The two outlets behind the passenger side VC goes to your heater core. One is an inlet and the other an outlet. Your leak could be coming from your VC, if it is dropping right onto the header. I would check your VC gasket.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I suppose someone could have hooked up the PCV to the manifold vacuum port, but not sure why they would do that. The two outlets behind the passenger side VC goes to your heater core. One is an inlet and the other an outlet. Your leak could be coming from your VC, if it is dropping right onto the header. I would check your VC gasket.
\

i was thinking the same thing. Maybe from where i have the clip holding the spark plug wires in place. Thanks!

·
Registered
416 Posts
It may be the pictures' angle, but it also looks as if the transmission cooler lines are running very close to the headers which can cause additional problems / issues due to the heat at the rubber hoses, etc.. X2 on the heater core nibs. The AIM will show the factory routing for the PCV for your engine, the only variant would be the vacuum source hook up due to the non OEM carb. I also think it will be a valve cover gasket issue, FWIW.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts