Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Jim.

I live in Northern VA, work in Washington DC, originally from Youngstown, OH. 49 year old white male (I can't believe I'm that old already), retired from USAF in Nov 1993.

I have a 68 Camaro that sat in storage for 20+ years - trying to get the back seat out to see the floor there. The traditional push the base of the seat's lower frame toward the rear of the car, then lift technique isn't working on this car. How does that thing come out? I know there is a treasure waiting for me under that seat and I'd like to get to it by the spring thaw.

By the way, I love old American cars, especially the cars from the 60's - early 70's muscle car era. It doesn't matter to me if they are Ford, Chevy, Mopar, AMC, etc - as long as they are classic American. I do have an occasional admiration for some older British and German cars, but the Pacific-area stuff is not for me.

·
Super Moderator
32,360 Posts
Welcome to the CLub! You should be able to push back on the seat about 1 1/2 inches and then pull up. The junction of the seat spring/frame to floor hook may have rusted into one piece and might need some external persuading to loosen the junction.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My name is Jim.

I live in Northern VA, work in Washington DC, originally from Youngstown, OH. 49 year old white male (I can't believe I'm that old already), retired from USAF in Nov 1993.

I have a 68 Camaro that sat in storage for 20+ years - trying to get the back seat out to see the floor there. The traditional push the base of the seat's lower frame toward the rear of the car, then lift technique isn't working on this car. How does that thing come out? I know there is a treasure waiting for me under that seat and I'd like to get to it by the spring thaw.

By the way, I love old American cars, especially the cars from the 60's - early 70's muscle car era. It doesn't matter to me if they are Ford, Chevy, Mopar, AMC, etc - as long as they are classic American. I do have an occasional admiration for some older British and German cars, but the Pacific-area stuff is not for me.
Welcome, nice to see another Virginian. I am down in Richmond area. I have a 68 Camaro that I am working on. In time, plan to take it to different car shows in Virginia, Louisa, Culpepr, Orange, and Richmond. In Louisa County they have a yearly event that is held in June. They (Lake Anne Cruizer) had a pretty good turn out last June. Welcome. :hurray:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Jim,

I'm from the Youngstown area (East Liverpool), retired from the USAF on '04, have a 68 Camaro, work in Washington DC (Pentagon) and live in Northern Virginia. Are we related?

Brent

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't know if you are going to take your Camaro to any car shows up in Northern VA, but up in Manassas, they have Bull Run Street Rods every saturday night at the Burger King on Rt 28. I am not sure of when they start up their car show season.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Welcome to Team Camaro Jim. You should be able to get the rear seat out by using the method Everett described above. Be prepared to find a lot of goodies under the rear seat. I found money, French fries and movie ticket stubs under mine. :waving:

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I got my 68 Camaro home, and going through the trunk. I found tools that the prevouis owner forgot to take out....mine now. I didn't find any money, started looking throught the middle glove box and found the key to the trunk. There was the old interior that I am going to replace. It will be fun taking ti to car shows and letting people see the work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts