Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a new wiper motor and I am INSTANTLY blowing fuses?
Wiper motor is grounded. Wires only plug into the switch one way. I thought maybe I had the wires at the wiper motor switched or backwards so tried it both ways with same results. It's blowing 30 amp fuses in less than a second with NO wiper movement???

Bad switch at the dash?? It IS original.

Any ideas????

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
The OEM wiper motor has power applied directly to the motor - yellow wire I believe. The switch applies ground to the two blue wires. The switch body is grounded.

I don't know if this is typical of all wiper motors. Any chance you got one with a grounded motor and the speed is changed by apply voltage through the switch.

Is the fuse blowing the moment you insert it, or only after actuating the switch?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It blows as soon as I activate the switch.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By grounded motor .... are you talking about the brass strap looking thing that is attached to one of the mounting surfaces of the wiper motor to the firewall? That's what I have.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Chris,
Check your connectors, I'll bet they are backwards or twisted.
The yellow wire should be on the cide closest to the drive, Light blue in the middle and Black towards the center.
On the washer pump again the Yellow is closest to the drivers side and the Dark Blue is on the connector closest to the center.

I know this because I just rewired my car and I kept doing the same thing. So I moved them around until I got it right.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tim...
Was that pic taken before or after the "fix"?
My wire loom has the "black with yellow striped" wire connected to the top post, which also jumps to the washer plug which I am not using.

Also, I have tried flipping that connection both ways and it immidiately blows the fuse. I mean INSTANTLY ... and a 30 amp fuse.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Picture was taken prior to the fix ...

If you've tried to switch the wires and you're still popping fuses ... then I not sure what the deal is ...

I would start tracing wires to the fuse panel and ensure that non are contacting one another and that all grounds and powers are accurate with the aid of a "check light" ...

Also make sure the wiper motor is making a good ground connection to the firewall ...

May also be a bad wiper motor ...

Let us know how it goes ...

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Put a test lamp in place of that 30 amp fuse so you can troubleshoot the problem without making trips to the autoparts store for new fuses. You should be able to tell from the lamps intensity if you're shorted or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts