Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. Well, have decided to go the pro-touring route and seek out a '67 or '68 convertible - any advice / leads, appreciated! Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Do you want to build your own or buy one all done ? If you want to build your own then search Craigslist, eBay, local classifieds, and car shows. Used verts run from $5K up depending upon their shape and how many sheet metal panels you have to replace. My 68 has probably close to $40K in it over the last 14 years but is more resto-mod than pro-touring so keep a total budget in mind.

If you want one all done, call DSE since they are in your neighborhood. If I could afford to I'd love to have one of their cars.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
1st Welcome to Team CAMARO :thumbsup:

Next, if you're going to do a 'full-on' build for something like a Pro-touring, or other highly modified version, you're going to be better off starting with a re-popped body structure from Dynacorn ;) http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/gm_models2.html
Sure, there are body shells in buildable condition out there in all sorts of stages of rusting away ...
But - since you will be cutting out the majority of the rear structure, replacing the front clip/Sub-frame and making major modifications to the stance, clearances and installing non-stock components it will save you a ton of cutting and replacing 'iffy' metal and sub-structure just to get to a decent starting point for a Pro-project build.
Dynacorn also offers several Firewall options which could save you more hours in building a project. Their body also has stronger sills and some other reinforcements that may benefit your build over a GM shell.

I also recently heard of a build using a 'Custom' supplied shell that had larger wheel houses and some other parts installed during fabrication from Dynacorn.
May be worth contacting them to see what they may be able to incorporat into the body for you in advance.

Look forward to information and photos as you progress :yes:

As always - JMHO's

1 - 3 of 3 Posts