Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 that is having some overheating issues. I recently replaced a 190 thermo with a 160 thermo and believe (or hope!) I may have some air in the system as the temp creeps into the 230-250 range.

I've read some threads on burping but as a newbie still need some clarifications. When I start the cold engine and let it get up to temp, with the rad cap off, at 160 degrees I see the coolant level drop by about 1/4 then slowly stream back in. Should I be filling the radiator immediately when I see the coolant level drop, then cap the radiator and turn off the engine? Doing something else? Or am I missing something in the burping process?

Thanks!

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
1st thing you need is a 180 Tstat... not 160 or 190 and not to 'fill' it to the top ever. Its a closed system and needs room to expand fluid. There is a line inside the radiator you can see, dont fill above it. Do you have the fan shroud? Is the fan blade just inside it by apox. 1" or so?

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Air locks in the system...99% of the time its a myth by those grasping at solns
As mentioned by Steve above ..in the 1% fixes.... pump the top hose, and genuine GM type thermostas either have a small hole or a hole with a loose 'thingy' in it, and a 3/16 hole will do the job
usual cause is filling a MT radiator facing down a hill....face it up hill or on the flat nps
Jim covers the radiator levels spot in
Which leaves this
I may have some air in the system as the temp creeps into the 230-250 range.
1/ if thosetemps are corect u have near seized the engine or blown a head gasket....the red idoit light comes on at 235 deg
2/ thermostat only determines the running temps, has no effect if the engine runs hot

And everything from her is covered in a current thread on the same subject..
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=198752

Which saves repeating everything again.

·
Registered
926 Posts
How old is your radiator? It could be starting to clog up with deposits/corrosion which is not unusual for an old cooling system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts