Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've completed the body assembly/paint and chassis on a full frame off restoration on my '69 RS/SS. Now I am staring at an empty shell wondering how to proceed without doing one step that may interfere with a later step. On the exterior I still have the engine/trans and accessories to install. On the interior I still have everything.
Does someone have a listing of basic steps to follow?

Some thoughts... put in my Vintage Air and my wiring in the interior as a starting point. Then the dash? Would you put in the engine/front lighting wiring harness before the engine and leave the leads unfinished and cut to length later? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Me personally would do A/C inside car on firewall. Then wire the cabin and rear harness. Install engine bay harnes but don't terminate wires until engine and tranny are in. Once engine is wired to the car and all connections are made on lights front and rear finish dash and all A/C terminations. Install headliner and then front glass and rear glass and doors. Finish all fuel plumbing tank etc along with brakes lines etc. Then you can possibly fire the engine if all is well and double checked. If fire up is okay finish interior. The reason I suggest waiting on interior last is if any wiring gremlin can be solved without everything in the way in the cabin.
Again this is was my method and others I'm sure will have suggestions as well. Good luck with it. This is the fun part!
I probably missed something but just take your time is the best advice I can give you.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I am about the same stage on my restoration as you. I have high build primer on the body. I am going to stop at this point with the paint. I don't want any scratches in the shiny paint because of an accident. I have test fitted my emblems, lights, and door glass. My fenders, front end parts and doors have been removed from the car and they are wrapped in blankets.

I plan to install my fuel tank and fuel lines. Next will be the brakes and brake lines. Test fit clutch pedal, parking brake. Rebuild the steering column. Then the AC evaporator under the dash. Wire the rear part of the car. That is about as far as I thought about. :laugh:

I am sure that something will be installed and then I will have to remove it.

Reactions: 4Tundra

·
16,022 Posts
Wiring
Headliner
Door and 1/4 glass
Door lock and latch mechanism
VA and ducts
Dash
Engine and tranny
Cooling system
Fuel tank and lines
Brakes and brake lines
Carpet
Body emblems
Exterior lights
Bumpers
Window felts
Interior door and 1/4 panels
Package tray
Rear seat
Windshield and back glass
Stainless trim
Exterior mirrors

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Wiring
Headliner
Door and 1/4 glass
Door lock and latch mechanism
VA and ducts
Dash
Engine and tranny
Cooling system
Fuel tank and lines
Brakes and brake lines
Carpet
Body emblems
Exterior lights
Bumpers
Window felts
Interior door and 1/4 panels
Package tray
Rear seat
Windshield and back glass
Stainless trim
Exterior mirrors
Not positive I am right but I install door handles and locks, windowfelts and exterior mirrors before installing door and quarter glass.

Don

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the list! Quick question...why would the headliner go in so early? It seems like you would risk damaging it and really dont need to put it in until the very end with the glass.

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Thanks for the list! Quick question...why would the headliner go in so early? It seems like you would risk damaging it and really dont need to put it in until the very end with the glass.
Easier to install when no interior in the car.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Easier to install without the glass in the way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.