Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an optima in the trunk and will have a quick disconnect located outside the car that will push-off.

My questions pertain to the 3/8 bolts, are these just for the bottom of the tray?

I am going to purchase a billet mount for the battery but want to be sure it is legal, most attach the top of the tray with .1/4-20 bolts, but 3/8 could be used for bottom.

Also since an optima is a sealed gel battery does it require a battery box?

I did a search and didn't find any definite answers, and the local dragstrip told me to buy a NHRA rule book, which was a really big help!

Thanks, for any replies. SS

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
3/8ths bolts are to secure the battery not the tray. Safety dictates securing a potential 60 pound missile rather than the two pound tray. Don't forget the fire shield of 1/8th aluminum for rear tray and back of seat, and to vent battery box to out side of vehicle.

Larger Dave

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
NHRA book under Gen Specs states battery must be secured to the frame or frame structure using a min of 3/8 dia hardware.

If the plate is stuck between the battery & frame, then plate is secure.

Battery must be in a box vented to the outside.

I have mine bolted through the rear frame rail and nutted the plate to the floor. I have two 'cradles' the same shape as the frame rail used as washers. I then install battery and use a crossbar across the All-thread studs and nut them down. I used Nyloc nuts. I also sit the battery on wood and insulate the crossbar with a paint stick to prevent them from corroding.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like Taylor makes an aluminum box which meets the firewall requirements.

Where did you plumb the vent?

Although I will still use a vent, the optima has no gases to expell being sealed gel battery, correct?

Thanks,SS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts