Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my newly aquired 68, the venting system is not working. The blower motor works fine but no air flow out the vents, defroster or floor. There is a bit of air exiting, however slight, from the floor area but thats it. With the speed set to high, there is a bit of back draft on the vents themselves, as indicated by a lighter placed in front of them.

I'm assuming the kicker panels are for re-circ as there is alot of "vacuum" coming from there. It will almost suck them shut on high speed. The complete system looks to be new. The levers seem to move the flaps but I don't know if its moving enough.

Its almost as if the blower is in reverse, if that makes any sense.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tommie

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Re: No air flow out vents

Does the car have factory AC? if so the blower wires could be on backwards, and not short out.
Does the blower sound like it changes speed when going high to low speed.

·
Registered
13,315 Posts

I dont know if the heater box is the same or siilar tothe the 69...
If a 69 I would say that ewhen the 2 flaps inside where put in they where put in in the wrong seqence...
1st time I did it had me scratching my head hard till decided to remove and start from scratch...
The 2nd time yrs later, the moment I realised wasnt working right... i remembered...
Blamed it on the ma in law, she wasnt around so was safe...
She is a good stick really, just dont tell her that lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

No factory air. I have checked outside on the motor and black is grounded, red/orange goes to speed control. The fan works on all 3 speeds. Its real puzzling. Everything is new, wiring, motor, heater assembly, cables, etc. Hmmmmm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no air coming out anywhere, that I can locate. Do the flaps actually stop all airflow or just direct it? Just wondering, is it possible for the fan to be wired backwards?

The two flaps/doors that are operated by the cables move. Really dont know if its enough but there should be SOME air somewhere?

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
It is pretty common for the defroster lever to break on the 68 heater control, have you checked that? The vents in the kick panels only let in outside air (or shut it off) as do the round vents on the lower right and left. I doubt you could make the fan run backwards.

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
Follow instructions... pull the damn heater box Out...you will see the flaps
they have to go in the right in the right order..If not you may get a little air flow out if the levers are in a given combination, all the rest you could F faster.

The two flaps/doors that are operated by the cables move. Really dont know if its enough
So you think the cables should move further and dont..
Its the bloody flaps put in the wrong order... not the cables.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It doesnt have ac so the blower wires cannot be on wrong, if they were, the fuse would blow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took everything possble out from underneath the dash to get a better view of the heater assembly. Everything as it's supposed to be, cables/doors were fully functional.

Then I took the ground off the blower motor and disconnected the power lead and swapped them. Fixed the problem.

Air now flows quite nicely... as it should.

Thanks for all the ideas and help!

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
Then I took the ground off the blower motor and disconnected the power lead and swapped them. Fixed the problem.
You are saying you had the power to ground and ground to the power on the fan????
If that was the case, turn the fan on and the fuse will blow!!!
So that means you had no flow because of connctions wrong way, (and they are diff sized connection. banetts..1 fits the other doesnt) and a blown fuse....????
Something weird there.

·
Super Moderator
33,074 Posts
It may be an aftermarket motor wired wrong internally if swapping wires made it work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The whole package / heater assembly is aftermarket (new). The blower motor had 2 wires out the back side and being a DC motor, I checked both leads to verify 1 lead or the other was not internally grounded. Being okay there, I reversed the polarity to reverse the motor's direction. Bingo. With that being done, the only thing I could figure out is the wires got crossed during the manufacturing process... or the person was color blind?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The whole package / heater assembly is aftermarket (new)
Ok now that makes sense. It was bad to assume it was a stock system. But who would have known it was aftermarket?

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
It would have been nice, IF he said that in the first place, but I guess it is more fun to sens everyone on a guessing game.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Can't we be just nice to the new guy?
I am having the same problem on an all original system that worked fine. I replaced the my fan while I had the fenders off and I never touched anything under the dash. Until now I assumed that my cable came off the main "on" lever but I rarely ever use heat so it was going to be a winter project to fix the cable. I bench tested my aftermarket motor before install but I didn't look at what way it was suppose to turn. I wonder if I am having the same problem...

Tmax, so you switched positive for negative at the fan motor (to switch the polarity) and it worked without blowing a fuse?

·
Super Moderator
33,074 Posts
Permanent magnet motor is not going to blow a fuse in either direction of rotation.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Tmax,
I see you posted on my old thread with the same problem. I have not fixed it yet but you may have helped me solve the problem. I'll try switching the wires around. Might be a batch of miswired motors from the factory. Pretty sure I got mine from Heartbeat City. You?
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=183114

1 - 19 of 19 Posts