Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help. I have a 69 with a TH350 tranny. The back up lights don't work and I was wondering if there's a neutral safety switch of some kind I could check. Any other tips would also be welcome. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,294 Posts
Yes, there is a neutral safety switch interior side of steering column at the firewall.
Since it's a '69, you need the lockout rod from the trans shift lever installed so when the shifter has selected reverse, the switch makes and lights come on.

Other things to check is the fuse and power to the fuse, if lost,
The position of the switch on the column casing, may just need adjusting,
The bulbs themselves and do they have a good ground.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
If it's a floor shift auto, the NSS attaches on the horseshoe shifter and also activates the backup lights. The switch mounts to the base of the shifter assembly and is activated as the shifter handle moves through the gate.

·
Premium Member
6,537 Posts
The backup light switch on floor-shift automatics is attached to the shifter; on a 4-speed or column-shift automatic, the backup light switch is on top of the column, a couple of inches rearward of the firewall. On a 4-speed, the switch is operated by the lever at the gear end of the column that has the bellcrank on the subframe with the rod back to the reverse lever on the tranny side cover (turns an internal tube in the column that rotates the upper bowl so you can get the key out - same internal tube the bowl rotates on a coumn-shift automatic). On a floor-shift automatic, all the interlock linkage does is to use that same internal tube to rotate the upper bowl (from the lever at the bottom of the column) so you can get the key out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts