Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here I am again. No brake lights or turn signals. Searching the site I see this seems to be a fairly common problem on Gen 1s. I searched and found this prior thread which has a lot of good trouble shooting tips; No Brake Lights, 69

My car has all new AAW factory style wiring harnesses. It starts, runs, gauges, horn, courtesy, headlights and tailights work (except for the left and right outer tail lights, which I believe also serve as the turn signal lights).

I pulled the brake switch connector (orange and white leads) and tested the white lead for power and got no voltage. With the key in the run position, I pulled the connector off the flasher module and tested the pink leads and got 12.46 volts. With the flasher disconnected I did a check across the flasher's leads and got a reading of 59.6 ohms (good, bad?). The flasher is a Signal-Stat electronic 262.

That is all I have tested so far and rather than randomly jumping around, I'm looking for a process to follow to help track down the problem. Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
Wylie, TX - Lee
287 Posts
My car has all new AAW factory style wiring harnesses. It starts, runs, gauges, horn, courtesy, headlights and tailights work (except for the left and right outer tail lights, which I believe also serve as the turn signal lights).
You are correct the outer tail lights are also used for brake and turn signal lights. The fact that you state neither light is working suggests that you may be using the wrong bulb. Are you using a 1157 bulb? There should be two filaments and two contact points for the bulb.

The orange wire on the brake switch should have 12V and the white wire should be 0V with switch disconnected.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are correct the outer tail lights are also used for brake and turn signal lights. The fact that you state neither light is working suggests that you may be using the wrong bulb. Are you using a 1157 bulb? There should be two filaments and two contact points for the bulb.

The orange wire on the brake switch should have 12V and the white wire should be 0V with switch disconnected.
Yes, 1157 dual filament bulbs

·
Registered
690 Posts
So here I am again. No brake lights or turn signals. Searching the site I see this seems to be a fairly common problem on Gen 1s. I searched and found this prior thread which has a lot of good trouble shooting tips; No Brake Lights, 69

I pulled the brake switch connector (orange and white leads) and tested the white lead for power and got no voltage. With the key in the run position, I pulled the connector off the flasher module and tested the pink leads and got 12.46 volts. With the flasher disconnected I did a check across the flasher's leads and got a reading of 59.6 ohms (good, bad?). The flasher is a Signal-Stat electronic 262.

That is all I have tested so far and rather than randomly jumping around, I'm looking for a process to follow to help track down the problem. Thanks for any thoughts.
To clarify, this is a new harness and all was working before?

·
Registered
Wylie, TX - Lee
287 Posts
So to clarify further, you're stating that the left and right outer rear brake, hazard, blinker and tail lights do not function so basically no lights from the outer rear lights ever. If that is correct then it would seem that you have bad grounds going to both lights or you have 2 problems as the tail lights are powered from the light switch and the other functions come from the turn signal switch in the steering column.

·
Registered
824 Posts
It is either loss of grounds at both tail light assemblies. Or the tail harness connector at intermediate body harness has come loose.

Of course with connector loose, I would expect fuel gauge to be reading past full, due to open circuit.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, 1157 dual filament bulbs
So, all the rear lights now function. I reinstalled the dual filament bulbs and now they work (they were not correctly seated) .Now on to the turn signals and brake lights. Thanks
Check the ground connection on both outer tail lights. Also make sure you have the correct wiring going to the outer tail lights. The right side should have a green wire and the left side a yellow wire to the outer tail light.
correct, the tailight harness is a new AAW factory replacement. They now work after I reinstalled the dual filament bulbs correctly.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So to clarify further, you're stating that the left and right outer rear brake, hazard, blinker and tail lights do not function so basically no lights from the outer rear lights ever. If that is correct then it would seem that you have bad grounds going to both lights or you have 2 problems as the tail lights are powered from the light switch and the other functions come from the turn signal switch in the steering column.
The outer lights work now, except for the turn signals and brake function. Do the brake lights also go through the turn signal switch? I have had the steering wheel and horn contact off a few times recently trying to get the horn to function, which it does now. Perhaps I damaged the turn signal/hazard switch in the process?

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro 454 LS6, Holley 950, Tremec 5 speed, Currie 9 in
204 Posts
Tom, I installed a Painless harness. I made my own wiring diagram for the lights.The brake lights do go through the turn signal switch. This might help you.
Rectangle Schematic Font Slope Parallel

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Next back probe the steering wheel connector's yellow or green wire while depressing the brake pedal to activate the brake switch. If you see no 12V then the turn signal switch is your problem.
Ok, here's a picture of the harnesses/connectors. The bottom piece (piano connector) is from the original Delco Remy turn signal harness ( interesting that a date code of D-8-67 would be on a '69 Camaro, not original?). The top piece is part of the new the AAW harness . The bottom piece has a green and black/yellow stripe leads. The top AAW connector has green and yellow leads. Which side should I be probing? Also, does the key need to be in the run position for this test? Thanks
Light Electrical wiring Audio equipment Gadget Computer hardware

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro 454 LS6, Holley 950, Tremec 5 speed, Currie 9 in
204 Posts
Tom, You don't need the key on for the brake lights or hazards. The white wire supplies the power to the turn signal switch. The green and yellow wire send the power out to the rear tail lights. When you step on the brake pedal with the key off or on you should get 12 volts at the white wire and at the yellow and green wires going to the tail lights

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tom, You don't need the key on for the brake lights or hazards. The white wire supplies the power to the turn signal switch. The green and yellow wire send the power out to the rear tail lights. When you step on the brake pedal with the key off or on you should get 12 volts at the white wire and at the yellow and green wires going to the tail lights
"When you step on the brake pedal with the key off or on you should get 12 volts at the white wire and at the yellow and green wires going to the tail lights"
So if I get 12 volts on the white lead but nothing on the yellow and green I can assume the turn signal switch is bad per blitzer454 prior post?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts