Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tailights work, front parking lights work, new brake light switch. Brake lights do not work and neither does the turn signals. Power is good to the steering column. Inspection to the wiring harness seems good. I am thinking the turn signal switch could be the issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Both sides of the car or only the left or right?

Check the fuses?

Does the front signal light work?

Have you tried putting on the emergency flashers?

Did you make sure you have 12vdc going into and out of the brake switch? Just because it's new doesn't mean it is good (and why was it replaced)?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All lights work. 12v is going to the switch, replaced thinking it was the issue. Hazard only works on far right taillight and only bright burns and does not flash. Car was a project that I have finished and this is one of the final issues.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Did you make sure the correct bulbs are installed, and they are known good?

With the 4-ways on, take a test light and check if there is voltage at each socket. Might want to do the same with the brake lights a well.

It also wouldn't hurt to make sure the flasher is good as well.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the bulbs in the car are correct and new. Sockets have power. I have no power from the wiring harness for the "bright" lights , yellow and green wires all the way to the fuse box. I believe the power goes from the steering column to the fuse box and then to the trunk. Flasher is tied to that as well. That would indicate turn signal switch is bad. . . .I think? What is your thoughts????

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a 69 and I did replace the flasher....now what. The right rear taillight flashes fast and not too bright with the hazard on. Only lamp that does that. I bought this car as a rolling chassis with boxes of new and used parts and receipts totally $18K. It has been a nightmare of a challenge to restore within budget for a client. This and the speedometer cable is all I have left then on to the next one!

·
Registered
Wylie, TX - Lee
208 Posts
Try re-connecting the steering wheel column connector. It seems like the blinker/hazard switch is not getting the proper voltages from the blinker flasher and brake switch. If that doesn't work try back probing this same connector to verify brake voltage is present when you press the brakes and power from the blinker flasher is also present.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sounds like a grounding issue. (Without seeing the condition of your wiring harness.) Since you seem to have +12v power everywhere it is supposed to be, start by ensuring EACH ground point is solid. Even surfaces inside the connectors and sockets should be clean and brite. Nice clean painted metal makes as poor of a ground as a rusted corroded connection. Star washers under ring connectors can help to bite through paint. Ensure the braided cable connections between the chassis and body are clean and tight. Even the connectors themselves can be corroded above where the wire contacts the connector. A good Ohmmeter and a ground jumper wire can be your troubleshooting friend.....Jb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts