Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to go to a nearby VW dealership today, (Long Story!) I pulled in and parked my car. When I came out, I went to crank 'er up...and NOTHING!!! It didn't even try and fire!
I thought maybe a battery, starter, solenoid??? As soon as I lifted the hood, 4 VW mechanics approached and commented on my nice ride. They obviously don't see many nice cars in their dealership!!
We tried a boost, but it didn't work. We then shorted out the solenoid with a screwdriver and it fired right up!
They thought that I had fried an ignition wire or something, and that I was going to have to trace the wire and find the problem.
I accepted that, thanked them for their help, and left. I pulled the car into the shop at home and shut it off.
It's now been 3 1/2 hours since, and I thought I'd see if she'd start...she fired right up!! No Problems!!

For the life of me I can't figure out what went wrong! I don't want this to happen again, so any help you guys could lend would be greatly appreciated!

It's a '69 Camaro with a 327, 4 speed.

Please help! There's a cruise tommorow night, and I'd be devestated if it pulled the same trick again.

Thanks alot!
John

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
If your battery cables get fried they will only work intermittently like that. I had a similar problem, turned the key and nothing. Not even a click. A few hours later it fired right up. If the connection is bad it will only work sometimes. Of course, this may or may not be the problem, but if it is, then it is easy to fix.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thnaks alot! But how do I tell if they're gone or not??

Do I replace them and hope for the best or what?

Thanks
John

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had this identical problem after last summer. One day I came out from the store and she wouldn't click, turn over or anything....dead. Let it sit for a while and it cranked right up. Dismissed it as a fluke thing and it didn't do it again for about a month (I drive the car daily-it's my only car). Then the problem started becoming more frequent. I replaced the starter and it seemed to fix it. A few days later the problem returned worse than ever. I traced all the wiring out, finding no problems. Replaced the starter again, but it didn't fix the problem. Checked the wiring again, but no problems. Replaced the starter another time with a GM starter (had been using reman. Advance Auto Parts starters), and haven't seen the problem since (replaced the starter after Christmas).

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350

http://156.143.134.136/default.htm

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I had a similar problem ( 55 Bel-Air ) and it turned out to be that I had partially pulled a wire off of the back of the ignition switch while fooling around under the dash. If the problem happens again, use a tester to determine if (1) you are getting juice at the ignition switch and (2) If you are getting juice at the solenoid when the key is turned. And, as always with electrical gremlins, begin by insuring that you have clean battery posts and solid connections

·
Registered
304 Posts
This has happened to me twice 2 different cars 2 different problems .
the 1st time was in my 72 years ago (daily driver)it tuned out that I had the wire that ran down the fire wall to the starterhad a chaf in it it was very hard to see but it would groung out on the back of the head.
the 2nd time was just a few weeks ago in my 67 my backed out of the garage and stalled the car(she's just learning a stick)when she hit it there was nothing turn out (after I had to push it out of the alley by myself)
the ground side of the battery wasn't getting a good connection,it looked nice clean and tight.after cleaning and retightened haven't had a problem.

if you can't find anything try fiddling with the wires in the dark a little spark is easy to spotin the dark (motor not running!)

------------------
stock? 67
hidden 69

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would clean the battery post and the pos wire to the starter and the ground. I had a starter bolt to the pos wire loosen up, not the front one but the one that the wire butts up against.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
My ground wire for the battery had cooked itself a little and it looked like the insulation was a little melted. I thought that it would still work fine since the metal wouldn't really be effected, but I changed it and then the problem was gone.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had that problem. Car would start up fine, drive somewhere, car wouldn't start.

Problem was the ignition wire(which ran right by the headers) was to close and would sag/melt onto the header shorting it out. But, once the car cooled the wire would pop off and the car would start. You couldn't see the melted pastic on the wire from the top, I finally noticed the burnt spot on the header and quickly found the problem.

Also clean the corrosion off your battery posts, even a little bit can cause problems (baking soda and water to neutralize acidic corrosion)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sounds like your sonenid is get hot. This is very comen with car with headers. You need to put a heat sheld over it to keep it from geting hot you can get them from GM and Morrso makes them to. What happens is it get to hot and the spring inside will not let it make connection they allso make a weaker spring but I would put the sheld on I have done this on a lot of cars. Most of the time when they will not sart when hot but will after they cool off this is what is wrong.

TIM

·
Registered
370 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tim Meredith:
Sounds like your sonenid is getting hot. This is very comen with car with headers. You need to put a heat sheld over it to keep it from geting hot you can get them from GM and Morrso makes them to. What happens is it get to hot and the spring inside will not let it make connection they allso make a weaker spring but I would put the sheld on I have done this on a lot of cars. Most of the time when they will not sart when hot but will after they cool off this is what is wrong.

TIM

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.