Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing new motor with new gas line filter, mechanical pump, and hard line to new Edelbrock carb. Cranked motor for long time and still not getting fuel to carb. The fuel filter mounted before the pump shows fuel only filling half of the clear portion. Is there too much air in line? If so, how can I purge the air out? I have added about 8 gallons of gas, so yes it does have fuel. While cranking you can see fuel "swashing" (?) in the filter as if there is some type of pressure increase/decrease,.....any ideas?? Thanks.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Make sure you have the lines at the pump are hooked up at the correct port.I dont know which pump you have buy some pumps can have 3 nipples to which you can connect a hose.Just make sure yours are connected up in the right place.Also the pump may be bad,even if its new.A half-full filter is normal.Edelbrock carbs can be decieving I have seen more than once the fuel line connected at the front of the carb,it will never run there,the fuel inlet is in the left rear of the carb.The front port is vacumn.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
dump a little bit of gas directly into the fuel bowl of the carb thru the vent at the top of the air horn, then try to start it. if all is well, it should start up and at least run for a little while.
sometimes you have to do this just to get things going.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
and get rid of that clear filter- they are a potential fire hazard if they break for some reason.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
"The fuel filter mounted before the pump shows fuel only filling half of the clear portion."
Just put a fuel filter after the pump and before the carburetor. Did you put in the correct fuel pump rod and get it positioned properly on top of the pump lever?

·
Registered
46 Posts
seems to me like your getting fuel by the fuel surging in your filter. remove your air filter and see if fuel is shooting into your carb when the gas pedal is moved. if fuel is shooting in, look electrical.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input,...yes motor will start when I put fuel directly in the carb,...I even disconnected banjo fitting and filled fuel line with fuel so I would have fuel after the pump,...still no fuel to pump,...I feel the pump pushrod is aligned correctly,...I will release fuel cap,....seems like there is some type of vaccuum lock happening,....thanks again,..will let you all know tomorrow.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Make sure all your lines are tight.if not its sucking air. take the gas cap off and blow some air in to the tank.put a rag around the neck while you doing that!

·
Registered
768 Posts
is there a cartridge type filter in the carb? sorry i'm not real familiar with edelbrock carbs.

cartridge type filters are really one-way check valves in case the car rolls over. the check valve keeps fuel from leaking out. if it is installed backwards it will not allow fuel to flow in the correct direction.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Mr. Cool,...pressurizing the tank took care of the problem!!! Fires right up now! Wow,...thanks to everyone for the input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts