Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both headlights do not work, and also no dash lights. I have tail lights and parking lights though. I replaced both the headlight switch and dimmer switch, and still no change. Any ideas?

·
Registered
844 Posts
First check your fuses. Then check the ground wire on your headlight switch. It is a single wire and is only a few inches long. It goes from the switch and connects to metal in the corner of the dash down by near the e-brake.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Time to get out a test light or a meter or start doing some more shotgun replacing of things like the dash wiring, underhood wiring, headlight bulbs, and so on. You can be a parts changer person and hopefully correct the issue or become a logical methodical troubleshooter.

I would see if you have main power going into the headlight switch that then the headlight switch then can send power down to the dimmer switch and then out to either the high beam or low beam headlights.

There is no fuse in the fuse block for the headlights but most of the time the headlight wiring PAST the headlight switch is protected by an internal breaker built into the headlight switch.

The headlight switch also just stops power from flowing down to the dimmer switch and then to the headlights or allows it to flow and no grounding of the headlight switch is required for the headlight operation.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,268 Posts
Check your dimmer switch. The connection can get bent and ground to the floor killing the lights.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,611 Posts
IMHO it matters little as most GMs of the sixties are wired the same.

Check ground of dash for dashlight operation and follow what Jim said above about the headlights.

Jeff
Jeff, You're assuming the OP is asking about a 60's something vehicle. For all we know it could be any year. We've seen this before. Also if we know the year we can give more accurate (year specific) replies.

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
Jeff, You're assuming the OP is asking about a 60's something vehicle. For all we know it could be any year. We've seen this before. Also if we know the year we can give more accurate (year specific) replies.
I think it's a fairly safe assumption to assume he is posting about First Gen Camaro. For ME it matters little if he is posting about a 60 to 92 GM. YMMV I'll not post further on this topic.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,268 Posts
Why is it lately everybody has to get in a major snit over minor BS?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts