Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newby question: Instrument lights used to work and also I have no power to the spot on the fuse blocked labeled "instrument clstr". Just replaced the engine & front light harness. Also before when they worked, when I dimmed the dash lights the fuel guage would drop to empty. Is all of this due to the cluster not having a good ground? The other thing noticed is on my headlight switch there are two wires, orange & red that have 12 volts to them, but once I pull the switch to the park light position the orange wire that feeds the park lights looses it voltage. I do have the electrical color diagram for the vehicle but not everything always matches. Need help from you experts, PLEASE!!

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Also before when they worked, when I dimmed the dash lights the fuel guage would drop to empty.
This is a classic bad cluster ground symptom. Fix this first, the lighting circuits get real weird when everything starts backfeeding due to a bad ground.

The INST fuse gets it's power from the headlight switch, only when the switch is pulled out, the voltage reading should rise as you twist the reostat.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Another cheezy ground run for this dash is, the center top screw on the dash carrier has to be in or it won't complete the ground path.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll add a ground to it & see. Does the power from the headlight switch come from the orange or the red wire? Thank you & I will get back with ya'll. Sure hope this is one of those quick fixes!!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
On a 68 the wire is gray and routes to these places: The instr cluster, the heater bezel, the radio light and the center console connector

1 - 5 of 5 Posts