Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loose spark as soon as the motor stops turning over when I turn the key. I thought it was the ignition switch but nope! Any ideas?
67 Camaro with a 327

·
Registered
223 Posts
john check voltage to coil,with ignition switch on run, you should have at least 9 volts,sounds like ignition wire has no voltage,with key in start mode you get a full 12 volts through starter for hotter spark to start,then the ignition side of switch takes over ralph

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
John, Ralph is on it. While some have said no way, I've seen a number of 67's that just didn't power the ignition the same way 68's and newer do.

2 wires, yellow from starter, white fabric resister wire from IGN circuit in ignition switch.

68-69 powers the resister wire in start or run.
67 powers it only in run.

You are getting power on the yellow wire in start as you should, but in run, you are getting nothing from the white fabric wire.

It's also possible, if you have switched to electronic ignition, that your wiring is all working as designed, but the electronic ignition needs a full 12 volts and is simply not firing with the resister wire in there. If this is the case, bypass the resister wire from the firewall connector to the coil to put it all right.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
John, if it's a stock ignition system, check that your getting power after the ballast resistor on the firewall. It may have cracked/burnt up.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
If we're talking breaker points here you'll need to west 68's with the points closed. Otherwise you may see full voltage at the coil with the points open. A bad connection will swallow up any voltage you have at the coil the moment the points close.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts