Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 327 with an MSD Ready-to-run distributor and blaster 2 coil. The setup has been unchanged for 4+ years and suddenly I have no spark at the plugs after the vehicle sat for about a month. I spent all afternoon between searching the forums and the garage and although I found a lot of great suggestions, none have fixed my problem.

Currently I have:
-A full 12 volts at the coil during cranking and run with a solid ground.
-The distributor wires are red-to-coil +, orange-to-coil -, and black-to-ground.
-I was able to get a spark by grounding and releasing the negative side of the coil with a spark plug in the coil to distributor wire.
-I have tried another coil, with the same result.
-There is ~2 ohms when I use my multimeter across the coil + and -.
-Fuel is not the issue, I can see fuel spray when I move the throttle.
-I have confirmed I don't have an spark with a test light and by pulling a plug wire and watching a grounded plug while cranking.
-There is no residue or broken parts inside the distributor cap.

The only thing I can think of is that the distributor module or other part has suddenly gone bad. Any other ideas before I throw money at a new one?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Matt

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Look up your distributor number on MSD site, they should have troubleshooting guide somewhere. They also have forums you can post your problem and an MSD tech will answer.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I have a 67 327 with an MSD Ready-to-run distributor and blaster 2 coil. The setup has been unchanged for 4+ years and suddenly I have no spark at the plugs after the vehicle sat for about a month. I spent all afternoon between searching the forums and the garage and although I found a lot of great suggestions, none have fixed my problem.

Currently I have:
-A full 12 volts at the coil during cranking and run with a solid ground.
-The distributor wires are red-to-coil +, orange-to-coil -, and black-to-ground.
-I was able to get a spark by grounding and releasing the negative side of the coil with a spark plug in the coil to distributor wire.
-I have tried another coil, with the same result.
-There is ~2 ohms when I use my multimeter across the coil + and -.
-Fuel is not the issue, I can see fuel spray when I move the throttle.
-I have confirmed I don't have an spark with a test light and by pulling a plug wire and watching a grounded plug while cranking.
-There is no residue or broken parts inside the distributor cap.

The only thing I can think of is that the distributor module or other part has suddenly gone bad. Any other ideas before I throw money at a new one?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Matt
Your trouble shooting procedure more than proves your coil is good, so the problem lies with the distributor or module in the distributor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your trouble shooting procedure more than proves your coil is good, so the problem lies with the distributor or module in the distributor.
I just wanted to follow up and close out this post by letting everyone know I ended up keeping my old Blaster II coil and purchasing the Street Pro-Billet distributor (not the ready-to-run version) and a 6AL ignition from MSD and (other than the "run on" issue that was corrected with a diode on the blue alternator wire) the Camaro is back up and running with a quicker start and smoother idle that I'll credit the 6AL for. Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply!:beers:

Tomorrow's project is upgrading to Patriot ceramic headers and a Powermaster mini-starter.

·
14,085 Posts
Good it's running.

The 6AL will give you nothing over the 8360. The fact the switch out fixed the problem means the module had probably gone basic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts