Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, My '68 Camaro has been running great, but this morning it wouldn't fire up. Starter's turning it over, just no fire. I put a little gas in the carb, nothing, so I started looking at ignition. I hooked up a timing light to #1 and turned it over and nothing. When I went to take the coil wire off, it just came apart, so I thought I found my problem. So I went to the auto parts store for a new coil wire... while I was at it grabbed a new cap and rotor. Replaced everything... Still no fire. If I hold distributor end of coil wire close to a ground and turn it over I get nothing. Replaced the coil with another known good one that I had laying around, sill nothing. I've got 12.4V at the coil on both sides. What should I look into next???

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Either the points are closing or perhaps a wad of grease found it's way into the gap.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the original points ignition. I'll take the cap off and double check the points tomorrow... Thanks...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to post the resolution on this thread. I did remove the points last night and they were bad. The stationary side had a hole all the way through it. I now have new points and it's running like a champ. Thanks all...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts