Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to get my pig running after 5 years and not so sure I have things hooked up right. I have a 4 pin module in my HEI distributor. I removed that module and hooked the 2 wires inside the distributor to the MSD box's "magnetic Pickup" (purple & Green). Orange and black going to C+ & B+ on the HEI coil, and the middle pin on the HEI is grounded.

Please help this bodyman
test the system to know which component is bad.. Im bad with wires..

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
I have it grounded to the firewall. I know the instructions say Battery -, but ground is ground right?

Also, do I need a ground strap from motor to body?
Yes the more grounds then better. But that may not be your problem have you check in side your cap at the black carbon button (that is where the coil wire fires off the spark to the carbon button). Have you tried to pull a plug to check for spark by turning the motor over. Also with the key in the on position check the coil leads with a test light to see if you are getting juice on both neg/pos sides.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a new cap and button. Im using a timing light to check for spark. Its not lighting which is telling me nothing is coming through the wires.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Just got done reading about this in the MSD manual (6AL2)

If triggering with the magnetic pickup:
1 make sure the ignition swith is in the "off" position
2 remove the coil wire from the distributor cap and set the (coil) terminal approximately 1/2 from ground
3 disconnect the MSD magnetic pickup wires from the distributor
4 turn the ignitior to the ON position. Do not crank the engine.
5 with a small jumper wire short the MSD green and violet magnetic pickup wires several times. Each time you break this short a spark should jump from the coil wire to ground. If spark is present the ignition is working properly. (Picture to side showing the violet/green plug from the box and a bent wire being placed in and out of each side of plug) If not go to step 6

Step 6
A inspect all wiring.
B substitute another coil and repeat the test. It these is now spark the coil is at fault.
C If there is still no spark, check to make sure there are 12 volts on the small Red wire from the MSD when the key is in the On position. If 12 bolts are present, find another switched 12 volt source and repeat the test.
D. if after following the test procedures and inspecting all of the wiring there is still no spark the MSD ignition is in need of Repair. See Warranty.

Rick

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like you are following the (external coil ignition set-up) diagram
there are 2 ways to hook up that egnition timing module... (MSD 6A)
Be sure you are following the correct diagram
1.Coil
2.HEI
You must follow the correct diagram for the application...

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Just went to MSD website. It sucks for looking up a diagram. In your instructions it should show how to hook up the msd to a gm hei, either a 3 wire or 4 wire. Order a catalog and it has all the diagrams in it. Also you can call them and they can email it to you.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Your intial post talked about a "4 pin module" and you described how you hooked it up to the pickup signal pins of the MSD box. I didn't think you used a "module" (presuming HEI module) on an MSD ignition setup. Perhaps I'm wrong - I didn't RTFM.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Mike,
How did you figure it out?
Rick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts