Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I thought was a carb problem (dying after 10 seconds) appears to be an electrical problem. The engine now turns normally but doesnt start. I thought it was flooded however I checked the spark and have no spark at any of the plugs (why would it start every once in a while then)? I swapped out the coil and that didnt help. I would assume all I have left is to check whether anything is making it to the coil from the ignition switch and coil wire and if so, looks to be a distributor issue, right? Any help on how to easily check the coil wire to see if im getting juice from the ignition switch? If so, then its the distributor right? Its a Mallory Unilite.

·
Banned
3,176 Posts
What I thought was a carb problem (dying after 10 seconds) appears to be an electrical problem. The engine now turns normally but doesnt start. I thought it was flooded however I checked the spark and have no spark at any of the plugs (why would it start every once in a while then)? I swapped out the coil and that didnt help. I would assume all I have left is to check whether anything is making it to the coil from the ignition switch and coil wire and if so, looks to be a distributor issue, right? Any help on how to easily check the coil wire to see if im getting juice from the ignition switch? If so, then its the distributor right? Its a Mallory Unilite.

I may be able to clue you in as I'm running a Mallory ignition system (Unilite Distributor, Promaster Coil)....First off, where do you have the brown ground wire grounded?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to the engine so groundings not the problem. And its a new coil so the coil is not the problem. Whats the easy way to check to make sure I have juice coming into the coil? If I have juice coming into the coil then its the Mallory Unilite correct?

·
Registered
223 Posts
wheezer have you checked the voltage at the coil,the resistor wire may be going,try a jump wire an hot wire it, give her 12 volts for a while an see ralph

·
Super Moderator
32,347 Posts
Easiest way to check for power at the ignition coil is to put a test light on the power wire and even through the primary side of the coil.

If it lights - good! Bad module. If a new module is gotten, should it have heat sinking grease on it to help it cool? Don't use dielectric grease - it insulates, stops the flow of heat.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
held the coil wire to a ground to get a spark (I would assume id get a big one) and nothing. Changed the ignition switch and nothing. Any other ideas. The engine harness is about a yr old so I wouldnt think it has anything to do with that.

·
Super Moderator
32,347 Posts
held the coil wire to a ground to get a spark (I would assume id get a big one) and nothing.
When you do this action, you have to open the power to the primary side of the coil to get it to spark.

The spark is the collapsing of the field generated by the current going through the coil. Open the current path, spark is made.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts