Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some problems when trying to start '67 RS 327. Sometimes when I want to start the car and I turn the ignition to crank it, the GEN light goes out and the start moter won't crank. I've to loosen the - pole on the battery to get the GEN light back on again before I can give it a second try. This happens when the engine hasn't been started for a while and when started just seconds earlier.
I've replaced the battery (new) and start moter (rebuilt)but this didn't help.
How to proceed to get this solved?

Thanks for your help.

Willem

·
Super Moderator
32,440 Posts
I would probably start by cleaning all of the cable(s) ends and the block where the cables attach as well as the battery posts and their respective clamps.

You might have too small of wire gauge (size) for the amperage being used. Another place to clean would be the junction block on the radiator support next to the battery. Clean all three items. 2 terminal lugs and the block. The next place would be the buss bar on the horn relay. Same there, clean everything. Then, move to the firewall connection and clean this.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I've seen bad battery clamps cause a similar problem also. My wife's car had good voltage. I could measure 12 Volts, radio and other accessories worked, but cranking would drop the voltage to near 0. Finally I looked under the hood while she cranked it over and I saw a little puff of smoke come out between the wire and clamp. I touched the clamp and it was very hot.

-dnult

·
Registered
523 Posts
Does the starter work if you short the solenoid B+ terminal to the "S" terminal?
B+ is the large terminal with the large battery cable.
"S" is the solenoid start terminal with the purple wire.
Carefully short these 2 terminals with a screwdriver.
The starter should spin.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The starter spins using "screwdriver method"
I've added a wire from the battery - post to the chassis, which wasn't there before.
I've changed the + wire from the battery to the starter. I've cleaned the - wire that goes into the clamp.
Now it starts every time. It seems that bad connection was the clue to the solution.
Thanks for all input.

Willem

·
Registered
521 Posts
Ignition switch?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts