Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
67 Camaro with a 350.
I have little experience with older cars and wiring in general, but i've managed to get all the wiring in for my Camaro ( it is not new wiring ).

I have power to the fuse block, and the accessories I have in do get power ( tail lights, blower motor ) when I have the key in the on position.

But, when I turn the key to crank, I get nothing at all.

When I jump the solenoid it does turn over, so the starter is OK.

Any ideas?
Where to begin to look?

·
15,638 Posts
purple wires to neutral safety switch

·
Super Moderator
33,145 Posts
NSS if Camaro has an automatic trans, Park or Neutral.
NSS may need adjusting.
If manual trans, no NSS. As John suggests, purple wire for starter solenoid power.
Ensure the Camaro has yellow wire from solenoid R terminal to coil + post for starting ign power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was an auto but now it's manual. Not sure if that matters now...

On the starters 3 posts I have yellow on the furthest to pass side, thick red to battery in the middle, and purple closest to driver side. When I turn the key I do get power to the yellow but nothing to purple.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It was an auto but now it's manual. Not sure if that matters now...

On the starters 3 posts I have yellow on the furthest to pass side, thick red to battery in the middle, and purple closest to driver side. When I turn the key I do get power to the yellow but nothing to purple.
Try wiggling the bulkhead connector on the face of the firewall.

Trace the purple wire from the starter back to the bulkhead to check for any issues. Maybe it got cut ?.

Get under the dash and look around for the large gauge purple wire and see if it's connected to anything like an on/off switch or if it's become unplugged out of a switch.

It's possible the ignition switch went out but did the car work fine before a particular point and then what was changed at that point ?

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn't thinking before, but the engine harness actually is brand new, so the issue would need to lie on the dash side of the firewall.

Just making sure here, the purple is for the ignition and the yellow is just for distributor?

·
Super Moderator
33,145 Posts
Purple is solenoid power to pull it in so solenoid powers starter motor.
If Camaro was equipped with auto trans, some where is a NSS.
You will have to jumper the purple wires to the NSS to get power to solenoid.
NSS would be on top of steering column if column shift.
NSS would be in console wiring/shifter if console shifted and there would be a harness plug for it, jumper at the plug.
Along with purple wires to NSS would also be reverse back-up lights for light bulb power when reverse was selected.
If this is the case, an aftermarket back-up would have to be mounted or find an OE designed switch with its bracket and linkage and mount on trans for activation of reverse lights, if Camaro was equipped with them, most likely, it is.
Yellow ire having ign start power means ign switch is a '68 as '67 does not have solenoid power from ign switch by OE design.

·
15,638 Posts
If you have a new harness you have a purple from the ignition switch and a purple from the starter. They connect via the NSS. If you don't have a NSS then you need to connect the 2 purples to get continuity from the switch to the starter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The engine harness is new, the dash harness is not. I believe it had a console ( would explain the plug under my dash with nothing to plug into ), so I will start there.

Presumably the purple wire there should be live when the key is turned then, correct?

·
15,638 Posts
Presumably the purple wire there should be live when the key is turned then, correct?
Purple will have 12v when key is in start position. Will not have 12v when key is turned to run position.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it, thanks everyone. Was the nss as was said. Would have never even thought of that.

Turns over now, but no spark... I have to do some more investigating though still. Probably something obvious I'm missing. I'll keep it posted.

·
Super Moderator
33,145 Posts
Good deal- Post 3 - Yellow wire from R terminal on solenoid to coil + post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts