Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start by saying this site and all the people here are such a wealth of information. I also want to say thank you to each person that has taken the time to post their build or answer a question.Your help has given me the confidence (for better or worse) to start a project myself.Hopefully my thread will be some help to someone else.
I call this project “No Surprises” because when I got the car, there wasn’t much left. My reasoning was that at least I knew what I was getting and the tear down was already done.I don’t think my wife was convinced but she let me think she understood.
Here is a picture of her when I got her home. The picture in the trailer is her good side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Love the trailer hitch lol! Good luck with the build.

·
Premium Member
5,307 Posts
I sent one to the scrap yard that looked like that! Maybe I should have kept it and scrapped the one in my profile.

I'm sure this will get back together. if you need inspiration search 6781Camaro on here. Todd has had his car down to the skeleton.

Jeff

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Great project. She will look fine in no time I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Hi John and good luck but if I can offer anything, please do a lot of planning & expense reviews as this will become an upside down project. Rewards can overcome but still an issue that should be reviewed is both cost & time as you hopefully have already. Welcome to build projects.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Big project for sure, but keep positive and ask many questions as you go. Good for you!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for all of the encouragement and words of caution. I am actually a little further but will post pics in sequence for the record.Thanks to a mild winter I have been able to get out into the shop a little more lately and have actually gotten some work done.
My goals –
1. Rebuild her and get her back on the road – anyone can buy a car*, I want the bragging rights and sense of accomplishment of building one.
2. Make her a driver – I want to drive her, not stare at her.
3. Give it to my Dad who has given so much and asked so little. The first car I remember riding in was a Frost Green 1969 Camaro that my Dad bought new. I still remember standing in the back with my arms spread across the seat staring out the windshield. (Of course this was before you had to be strapped to a car seat with some sort of electronic device plugged into your head.)
What I have.
Report this image

What I see.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sent one to the scrap yard that looked like that! Maybe I should have kept it and scrapped the one in my profile.

I'm sure this will get back together. if you need inspiration search 6781Camaro on here. Todd has had his car down to the skeleton.

Jeff
I don't even want to think about the ones that ended up in the scrap yard. Thanks for the heads up on Todd. I have been subscribed to his build for the last couple of years.

Hi John and good luck but if I can offer anything, please do a lot of planning & expense reviews as this will become an upside down project. Rewards can overcome but still an issue that should be reviewed is both cost & time as you hopefully have already. Welcome to build projects.
Thanks for the advice. I had to laugh when I read your post. I don't think the people on this site are big on reviewing cost and time of their builds, except for the one they showed their significant other to persuade them to let them start it. lol

Another Michigan car as bad as mine! :D

The good news is it can be done and you can do it. The bad news it is takes a lot of time. Pace yourself and try to break it into little projects so that you don't get discouraged. Most of all, have fun!
Thanks Matt. Actually, you have been a great encouragement already. I have been through your site numerous times for ideas and advice.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only thing holding the rear end in the car was the rear shackle bolt on the passenger side. This is the method I used to get the car onto the jig. I put jack stands under the front of the rockers and lifted the rear with a cherry picker, slid the rear end out and put jack stands under the rear of the rockers.I then lifted the whole car and wheeled the jig under the car.Of course, the only point of reference left on the car was the front two gauge holes on the firewall.Both frame rails and all of the reference points under the car were enlarged by rust or completely gone.
I got the trunk out without too much effort. About the only thing left attached to the rest of the car was the tail panel and where it connected to the floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm a fan of your build thread for sure John!!!! I can't wait...the suspense is killin me!!! Best of luck man!

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I just found your thread, I'll be a loyal viewer. Mine was pretty bad at the start, but not that bad. In reality, you are just as well off, because the cost of the replacement pieces is more of less the same if a piece is completely rusted out or just one-half rusted out. Your parts are just easier to remove! You gotta love those old rust buckets.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I think that's great you want to give the car to your dad! Does he know about it? Will he be involved with the build? I got the bug early in life myself. I remember standing in the back with elbows across the front seat of my dads old 66 Bonneville with a 455. Oh the good days.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Good luck on your build. Keep the vision with your dad and his 69 and that will keep you motivated. Looking forward to your build. I never had the inclination to take on the task you are doing, to that extinct. All but 3 of the 35 Camaros I have owned were driven home. Have fun. . . just an old guy talkin

·
Registered
913 Posts
I love the ambition you of you guys that take on these Pheonix type of rebuilds (ya know, beautiful creature arising from the ashes).

It really helps to keep my build and I'm sure other fellas in prospective, it's really hard to gripe and moan when I run into some of the issues I've had when I look at what some of you fellas have taken on.

My hats off to all of you who take on such builds, you derserve a lot of props.

Plus, doing to for you old man, that's pricesless.
If I ever have the money, the one I would like to get for my dad is a 69 GTX, he bought one brand new and sold it when my sister was born, he still gets a big smile when he talks about that car.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts