Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1968 camaro
First problem that I had was the tail lights and gauge lights quit working.I checked the fuse,it is good.I've had this problem once before,it was the light switch.So I replaced the light switch again.Now the headlights don't work either.I tried putting the old switch back in to get the headlights to work and to see if the new switch was defective.Headlights still didn't come on.I was also told that the problem could be the turn signal switch. I bought one and plugged it in.Nothing changed.No taillights headlights and gauge lights.You guys got any ideas?

·
Registered
581 Posts
WOW, this is odd, I was getting ready to start a thread on this.

Mine went out Saturday, I have no parking lights, tail lights, or guage lights either. I keep blowing fuses as soon as I put them in.

I can't find a problem at any of the parking or tail light bulbs. Any ideas?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My brake lights and turn signals are the only ones that work.As far as getting power to the switch , I don't know which wire sends power to the switch.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Not exactly sure on a 68 but on a 69 the light sw has a ground strap/wire on it that has to be connected for the sw to work. Other light functions would work but not the lights and tail lights. Might take a look under there for a black wire hanging or some type of ground strap under the dash by the sw.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope... No ground strap.Does anyone know which wire powers the light switch and where it originates?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I fixed mine last night. I put a new fuse in and the lights came on very very dim. I could smell rubber burning, so I used my sniffer to locate the problem. The wire to the license plate light in the trunk was hot as can be. I unhooked it, and everything else works fine.

I just don't have a license plate light right now. I'll fix it soon.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This really sucks... I replaced the new light switch with another one , just in case I got a bad one out of the box. It didn't fix the problem. I checked voltages. There's a 12ga red wire and a smaller orange wire; they both have 12volts.When I turn the light switch on ,the orange wire voltage drops to zero.Since I'm working on the switch dangling from the bottom of the dash I ran a jumper for a ground.Also are the headlights on there own fuse? The letters on the fuse box are worn off.Does anyone have a good wiring diagram other then an assembly manual?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts