Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking at some project cars and i always come across with some that have problems like no vin tag(said they lost it) but title shows vin and matches partial vin on cowl or no title but they have bill of sale.. im not to sweet on the legal issues with this.. how does it work??? I guess if you have title and proof ov vin then you can get one issued right???

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
I'll keep it simple here:

Do not go anywhere near a car with no VIN tag.

Your sig shows that you have two first gens, is there any particular reason youre looking for another?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even if it has vin stamped on the fire wall and the title?? why not

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
First off, if the car is missing its VIN tag from the dash or jamb (depending on which year car), there are issues.

I would stay away from a car like that, there are plenty of others out there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah its on a 69.. car is actually on ebay right now and was thining about bidding. well your right many out there i guess...guess im just anxious thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive got one more question.. what if it has a vin and no title on hand.. what do u do then.. can u get a title ??? ive come across this a few times as well.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
You can file for a lost title, I did. check state-local laws...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good idea.. ill check into that tomorrow. thanks Wiskeesour.. any one else have any ideas

·
Registered
955 Posts
Use extreme caution. It is illegal in all 50 states to possess a motor vehicle without the VIN tag. The only exception to that is a salvage yard can use it for parts when it is a theft recovery vehicle and the yard has the paperwork from the insurance sale. They can not sell that parts car as a motor vehicle.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
It varies so much state by state that unless someone here has Ohio experience, I wouldn't expect a lot of input other than run away.

In PA, I'd have to have all the paperwork and apply for a state issued VIN. Likely I'd end up with an "R" (reconstructed) title. Not a big deal to some, but it's not something I'd get involved with.

If it has a VIN, some states will let you retitle with a bill of sale and a VIN verification from a state agency (here in PA it is the PA State Police). Again, hoops to jump through and the risk that the car turns up stolen in some database or goes into limbo for some other reason once the police look at it. Again, I personally would run away.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You all give good advice.. I guess ill just have to stay away from those.. thanks brad

·
Registered
95 Posts
you can have the local police department run a vin search or the dmv to check it it is titled in another state. if it has the hidden vin and you have the title and you buy it from the title holder, from the person on the title then it should not be a problem. but you should check with the authoritys first before letting go of you cash.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts