Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving the car doing long burnouts and having fun.Parked it in the garage.
I disconnected the battery terminals and rerouted the wiring for the MSD-6AL.
I have all of the wires neatly run and hooked back up.
Now the problem..I have no voltage to anything in the car,no lights, no blinkers, no radio ,no power to fuse panel..nothing.All fuses good.
13.7 volts on the couple month old battery.
This is in a 1968 vert.
Is there a fusable link between the starter and the fuse panel??
I am stumped. Any thoughts or ideas will be appriciated.
Chilli

PS: I Need to do more burnouts asap!!!:D

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
where is your battery? if it is up front a positive needs to go to horn relay. if out back in trunk area. it needs to go to starter than a wire going to horn relay from the starter.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
The horn relay is the first place to check. Check either screw terminal to ground for voltage. s/b same as battery

If you don't have power there, check the battery cable. The "small wire" on the battery cable is the one that actually powers the car, the big one only powers the starter. That small wire is a fusible link on an orignal type battery cable.

If you have power to horn relay, then the big red wire with the black fusible link on the horn relay is the one that actually powers the car.

All this is detailed in words and pictures in the "what it is, where it is" sticky post in electrical.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Is there V+ at the radiator support junction terminal?
Is there V+ at the horn relay junction?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
battery is up front.Can you describe where the horn relay is and what it looks like.
Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The horn relay is the first place to check. Check either screw terminal to ground for voltage. s/b same as battery

If you don't have power there, check the battery cable. The "small wire" on the battery cable is the one that actually powers the car, the big one only powers the starter. That small wire is a fusible link on an orignal type battery cable.

If you have power to horn relay, then the big red wire with the black fusible link on the horn relay is the one that actually powers the car.

All this is detailed in words and pictures in the "what it is, where it is" sticky post in electrical.
thanks for the heads up to the link with the pictures in what it is where it is

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay,
I have 12 volts to the starter via the heavy starter cable from the postitive post of the battery.
From the starter there is a wire red or purple in color (it is hard to tell because of age)smaller gauge that goes to the firewall. I have no voltage on this wire at the starter or at the firewall.
There is also a smaller yet yellow wire that goes to the small post to engage the starter,again no voltage.
Help please!!

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why are you checking at the starter?
Did you read my post, or look at the sticky?
HORN RELAY. Check power at the HORN RELAY.
The pictures and explanations are here: http://www.camaros.net/techref/electrical/What_it_is/radiator_support.htm
Some good color wiring diagrams are here: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93576
I would suggest you start with "POWER DISTRIBUTION"
PM me for the password to open the wiring diagram.
I checked it there because it seems that is the next in line from the battery to receive power.
you have PM

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts

Got your PM, and answered it. Troubleshoot step by step, post back if you get puzzled or if you find something, and this will be fixed today.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks JimM once again.
I hope to be able to make it out to work on the car this afternoon(after the honeydo's)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got your PM, and answered it. Troubleshoot step by step, post back if you get puzzled or if you find something, and this will be fixed today.
fixed it with your help,thank you very much

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The wire to the junction terminal had fallen and I did not attach it.
Stupid mistake.
Thanks for helping me look in the correct area.
I did not know the routing of the power.
I thought it took power off the starter.
Chilli

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Sorry! But I love this stuff!:hurray:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts