Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the car in question is a 96 Z28 A4. what I have is a rather annoying and on going problem with a squealing or chirping noise kind of like the noise when a small bearing goes bad or a bad belt, but louder and more metallic. This only happens at operating temps and when it's been at those temps for a bit.It sounds like it's coming from the back of the engine/torque converter,front of transmission. Originally, I discovered the crank was "walking". Replaced the long block. Noise still exists. I've replaced the torque converter(was high mileage anyways) had the transmission apart twice,replacing all the bearings and clutches both times, even though it wasn't needed, but again "just in case" .Even had the crank checked for end play again, the shop insist's its not moving, but it's the same type of noise. Everything on this car is new, to include pulley's, waterpump, alt, etc. what makes it even worse is that aside from this noise, everything runs just fine, no overheating, no shifting issues, I don't see a bunch of metal in the fluids and so forth. some have recommended that I "drive it till it breaks". Pretty bad advice if you ask me. I did attempt to record the noise and post it so I could provide a link, bit i couldn't hear it on the video. right now I'm grasping at straws. I'd really rather not drive it till it breaks, especially considering the money I've already put into it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You don't mention is it is making this noise while idling in park or while driving. Does it get louder with rpm or speed? Does it speed up/slow down with rpm/speed? I've used a mechanics stethoscope that I got from Harbor Freight to isolate a couple car noises over the past year. I think it was $5.00. I recently had disheartening noise in my DD and had a bad U joint. Sounded like a brake issue or wheel bearing initially. Your noise could be about anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It happens in park, drive, neutral, usually when accelerating and braking. as it reaches 'steady" rpms(cruising/idling) I don't hear it. I can duplicate the noise by having it park or neutral running it up to 3000 or so rps, holding for a bit then letting off. As the rmps drop, the noise appears.I already have a mechanic's stethoscope. Myself and every one I've had look at all have come to the same consensus that it's coming from the area previously mentioned, we just can't seem to find anything.(myself, several mechanics at a local shop and a legitimate transmission 'guru" that has a shop) There is also the 'gear" at the rear of the starter that attaches to the flywheel. I have considered this, but one would think if it were something to do with that, the starter would have "died" some time ago.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
It may be the belt tensioner (idler pulley). I once had a 96 Z28 that made a chirping noise upon start and at certain RPM's and that's what it turned out to be.

But, since you say it's coming from the engine/tranny interface area I'd be looking at the flexplate, something like a broken weld where the ring gear is welded to the flexplate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts