Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken my 93 camaro to different shops regarding a noise that happens when I drive up a hill. It doesn't matter if I'm going 40 or 80 miles an hour. When going up a hill it will make a noise like a hollow grind. It lasts for a short time. One mechanic said it was the fuel pump and changed it. But that wasn't it. I also just put in a new engine. It happened before the engine went out. Does any one know what it could be? The mechanics I have taken it to do not know.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just a guess.U-joints.I am thinking MAYBE the weight shift from going uphill is changing your pinion angle.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching,
4X4 CHEVY TRUCK

·
Registered
820 Posts
on one of my old cars I had the same kind of problem, it was a 74 camaro, it would eat up U joints like a Fat girl with a free bag of Cheese puffs. turned out that my rear end yolk was a bit loose, under load it would not make a sound, when I went down a hill it would grind like a Mofo and eat the Ujoint up. although yours is in the uphill area, mine was downhill. but as the above post states, check , or even just replace the ujoint. and inspect the rear yolk, make sure that the bolt is tight and torqued properly,. worst case scenario, the rear is out of gear oil and dry as a bone..

·
Registered
321 Posts
I know on the 82-92 Camaro there is a torque arm that runs from the trans to the rear carrier. I'm not sure if there is one on a 93 but.. The rubber mount on it might be broke or your trans mount could be broke thus shifting stress to the drive line.
Just a thought.

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28

1 - 4 of 4 Posts