Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends, Is there any data on the ratio of RS/SS/Z28/BB cars either plant built compared to base? I mean, did one plant put out more of either of these cars? I know NOR built many more cars but seem to think more of the more optioned ones have LOS tags....I just wondered if my thoughts that LOS built more "special" cars than did NOR or am I just nuts.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Excellent Question! Iv'e wondered too!

I have seen a few build sheets from "LOS" built camaros, ('69), plus some cars that were mostly orig, and was surprised that they were highly optioned. such as:

Deluxe interiors:

And a lot of Big Block cars!

My '69 was orig a "LOS" BB car. It has deluxe interior, console with gauges, tach, rear defroster, woodgrain dash etc. Does this mean anything?
I think the camaro production from "Van Nuys" was only about 1/3 for the '69 model yr, So maybe it could be there were more "spiffed up" models from Cali?
From my personal experience, most of the Van Nuys cars I have seen have been highly optioned, and a lot of SS cars!
Considering the "Los" production, I was amazed!
I think maybe it was that "east coast, west coast thing going on! I lived in California in the early 80"s for a short time, and I can tell you for a fact, there were way more "muscle cars" there than the east coast. Well, this is my opinon, but again, great Question!

+++ It would also be interesting as to how many "drop tops" were produced from Van Nuys"! Hmmm............

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so I must be nuts........There is no one other than 69 merlinpro565 and myself who thinks this way? I just thought maybe for some reason that after looking at countless cars and tags the higher ratio of HI-PO cars to base seem to have come from LOS. I know there were alot of these cars that came from NOR, I am the owner of one.......My L-35 SS but my car other than having the 396 and a fold down rear seat is all it has.

Maybe this should be put in the Tag Team thread????

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Maybe some of the CRG guys would have data on this.

I have also wondered if there was a difference in quality. I am talking about fit and finish because I am assuming parts were the same. Maybe I should not make that assumption?

Those who have restored original NOR and LOS cars may be able to give us their experiences.

·
Registered
445 Posts
My car was built at the LOS plant. I seem to have a fair ammount of options but I am not sure if it is considered a lot. Nothing special in regards to BB, RS etc. Standard convertible 327/275hp, powerglide, with Power brakes, power steering, power top, console, deluxe seatbelts, deluxe interior, Z23 interior decor, Z21 exterior decor.

09C P391
ST 67-12667 LOS 103 BODY
TR 732-Z F-1 PAINT
D 2MG 3SK
5Y

Does this add any perpective? I don't know......

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I really have had these very thoughts on where the highest optioned and biggest horsepower cars were from. Maybe a East coast, West coast battle lines brewing here, but knowing the facts would be nice. I really dont care where the car come from, so long as it is a Camaro............

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm sure this thread would have to be moved, but this would really be neat to see how this pans out with the NOR & LOS cars.

Maybe start with member's cars, and go from there?

I flew to California in '82 ( really cool story I should post here some time, you guys would love to hear!), anyway, I bought a '68 RS from the orig owner for $2200.00, and drove it all the way back to the east coast!! It had everthing!, I think power windows, ac, houndstooth interior, lots of stuff, and of course was a LOS car. I hope this keeps going....

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK friends, I was not looking to draw any lines in the sand in regards to battle lines but really would like to see this thread continue (albeit moved to the Tag Team forum) with more data presented.

My thoughts have brought me to this theory.......I was thinking that the pace of cars going through NOR may have been a little faster, with production numbers higher. Having a slower pace at LOS could allow more time for each car.....thus having more time to allow the addition of more options. Not that I think quality was comprimised. Maybe this will increase the desirability of LOS built cars? Although I am still cherishing my NOR.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
My thoughts have brought me to this theory.......I was thinking that the pace of cars going through NOR may have been a little faster, with production numbers higher. Having a slower pace at LOS could allow more time for each car.....thus having more time to allow the addition of more options.
Production rate didn't make any difference - the time standards for each operation were the same at both plants in terms of assembly line manning; although the line moved slower at Van Nuys (35 units per hour vs. 57 per hour at Norwood), there were proportionally fewer people on the line, so folks were working at the same "pace" at both plants, although the cycle time per unit was different and the work elements were broken up and assigned differently.

It took the same number of man-hours to build the Camaro at both plants, and that determined the plant's manpower budget; how efficiently they man-assigned the work elements (and the resulting manpower required) determined their efficiency vs. the budget. Same formula for all assembly plants, regardless of production rate - the only variable is actual work content (man-hours) in the product (determined by time studies); multiply that by the rate (units per hour), and that generates the required/budgeted manpower.

If there's 10 man-hours of work in the product in Final Assembly and you're building 50 units per hour, you need 500 people; if you're only building 25 per hour, you only need 250 people, etc. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
John, thanks for taking the time to explain . I was hoping someone would set me straight. I respect and appreciate all that you CRG folk have done for our hobby. Is there any data on options installed on our cars or whether either plant turned out higher optioned cars?

Again..........Thanks for all your contributions

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I have a heavily optioned LOS coupe and a lightly optioned NOR convertible, and have noticed the same thing
I think it has more to do with the west coast customers, where LOS cars where intended for, being in more of a car culture and being more affluent. Add to that the west coast cars lasted longer due to favorable enviroment and so there are more survivors.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Is there any data on options installed on our cars or whether either plant turned out higher optioned cars?

Again..........Thanks for all your contributions
Nope, no such comparative option data by plant; I think 68 Ragtop's post above makes sense. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I've got a partial database of LOS cars. It is truly hard to say that the LA plant built "more" highly optioned cars than Norwood..... as often only the Highly optioned cars have survived till today.

Many of the base cars and L6 cars have long since been discarded and lost to time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
:thumbsup: I got a 67 RS wih the deluxe interior & AL4 Front bench seat, & U73 Rear Mount Antena:secret:NORWOOD:boxing:

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Interesting TOPIC: I'm Canadian and through my experience have never seen a LOS Camaro in Canada. Emission and 3 Point Shoulder Strap belt Laws did not exist until 1973. Consider our Pontiac's had a Chevy drive train with a Turbo 400 and 12 Bolt Posi. Compression ratio dropped after 70 thus the Fuelie (Camel Hump) head disappeared but were Optioned with an over the counter 2.02/1.6 angle head and Holley Carb/ the Q-Jet. Say LaVie: by 71 the 454 LS5 was gone but the LS3 Option for the Camaro and Chevelle remained but the 12 Bolt and Muncie were gone.

I vaguely understand that the LOS Production Line catered to Luxury rather then Hp but the NOR Plant played a BIG Role in CDN Performance and I'm sure specific to certain States which were subject to similar laws at that time. You're talking over 35 years ago when I was dreaming about Grumpy Jenkins, Faulkner, Donovan and Garlotis :eek:))

1 - 15 of 15 Posts