Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 console gauge equipped Camaro and am wondering about the temp gauge function. Everything works properly with the gauge and the readings. It seems to perform very well and read accurately. What my concern is relates to the cold engine key-on before starting the engine The temp gauge has a propensity to violently move left and bang off the low post on the needle limiter. The needle hits hard enough to vibrate some before becoming steady. I recently changed over to a slide pin sender to make it correct appearing. The new sender behaves electrically identical to the nail head style I replaced. I have had my car for scores of years and can't recall seeing this behavior-but may have been doing this all along. I am concerned because of the potential rattling damage possibility. Mark C-any ideas?? Is this a normal behavior in others experience??

·
Registered
214 Posts
A wild guess...you’re getting some sort if electric backfeed going through the temp gauge circuit. Maybe try making sure there’s a good solid connection between the negative battery cable and the block, and between the block and the unibody, and between the gauges and the unibody. Ground straps all there?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the connections are all good. I don't have any malfunction of the gauge or any other components. I thought about the resistor possibly- but since it functions and reads accurately I think all is well there too. Don't think any of the posts on the gauge are shorted to the mounting panel. The gauge just behaves like a Mantis shrimp when I key it on cold!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts