Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,everyone a friend of mine is going to look at a 58 chevy two door tomorrow,its basically a roller,it used to have a 283 in it.He has a 350 pontiac out of a 68 firebird that he wants to stuff into the 58,hes asking what is he getting into with the motor mounts set-up.Is anyone familiar with these kind of cars,and would know what we have to do about the mounts?Is it a matter of using the 350 mounts, Or more like changing everything, does anyone know what they would look like for the 58?

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Late:

Chevy changed to the Side Mounted Motor Mounts in 1958 so there is probably some combination of stock or modified motor mount set-up that can be used to mount the Pont. 350 in that car.
1970+ Camaro/Firebird Sub-frames where nearly the same so looking at the frame addapters for the mounts for those years may be a start.
Good luck in his project - I'm sure it can be done - but that said, I'm not sure selling the 'Indian Unit' and getting a good Small Block wouldn't be the easiest and best way to go in the long run.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
did 58 Pontiacs use the same basic frame, and did Pontiac use that style of engine back then? if the answer to both of these questions is "yes", then maybe try to score some mounts for a 58 Poncho with a V8. if not, find out how long that chassis was used, and find a year with that engine/chassis configuration and get mountsfor that- IF they are available.
if not, a welder is your best friend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts