Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a camaro problem but maybe I can pick a few brains.I have a 99 Tahoe 5.7 engine. On the way home from the Louisville swap meet today (about 100 miles) my service engin soon light came on.It runs fine under normal driving but if you kit it to the floor it has no get up and go,you can kick it down and it will shift to passing gear, rpms come up but wont run over 70 until you let off and let it shift.Does the same thing in low when taking off from a dead stop it runs up to about 40 wont go any faster until you let of gas and let it shift.Like I said it runs fine driving normal but you can feel a lack of power. Any ideas??

·
Registered
159 Posts
Pull codes and see what's going on.It's probably in 'limp home mode' which is why it's running at reduced power.Take a paper clip and join A-B together in data link connector and count the flashes of the check eng light.Code 12 will ALWAYS flash first 3 times and then other codes will follow.12 just means the computer is not receiving ignition reference pulses because you check codes with key on engine off.You will get 12 even on a car with no problems.It's letting you know computer is okay and is responding.watch carefully as the light starts flashing.A code 24 for example would go flash flash pause flash flash flash flash.Get it.It will do this 3 times then go to next code.See what you get then post back.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can this be done with OBD 2

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I don't know if you can do that with OBD-II...don't you have OBD-III? I believe the OBD-II uses a very comprehensive scanning tool.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 350, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's OBD 2 Light stays on no flashing this tells me it's a emmissions problem, when flashing it's a miss fire problem. Thanks any more ideas. I think it's going to go to the shop my snap on scanner only goes to 95 and OBD2 started in 96

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Go to the dealer and have them hook up the OBD II scanner. There is a new "cheap" scanner out from Snap-on that only checks and erases codes. It's neat, you don't have to enter VIN either.

SES lights are covered 5/50..I take it you're over 50?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep! 60,000 miles. I took it to the dealer to have it scanned. My wifes cousin is the service manager there.While I was at the dealership dropping off the Tahoe I was looking at a 2002 Monte SS red with the ground effects package.Looks like I might have a Tahoe for sale.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What a bonehead I am! You did say 99 and I read your post as 89.They probably didn't have a Tahoe in 89 either.Forget everything I said.I'll go sit in the corner now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts