Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to drop the rear end of my car about an inch. I purchased Hotchkis 2407C leaf spring set for about $400 and spent the last 4 days mounting the units. Had lots of issues and now i am sore from laying in awkward positions and at 60 my patience wears thin, but tonight i finally completed the installation. I lowered the car expecting at least an inch drop and it is the same height as it was before. Needless to say i am not happy! Perhaps as i drive it and it settles I might get a little more of a drop but I doubt i will get what i want.........:mad:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wanted to drop the rear end of my car about an inch. I purchased Hotchkis 2407C leaf spring set for about $400 and spent the last 4 days mounting the units. Had lots of issues and now i am sore from laying in awkward positions and at 60 my patience wears thin, but tonight i finally completed the installation. I lowered the car expecting at least an inch drop and it is the same height as it was before. Needless to say i am not happy! Perhaps as i drive it and it settles I might get a little more of a drop but I doubt i will get what i want.........:mad:
sory to hear that all your work did not produce the results you were looking for. I have a 69 427 copo Berger recreation with multi leaf stock springs and mine sits higher than I would like also. I was thinking of doing what you tried. Best of luck.

·
Retired
26,739 Posts
Guy - I hope you didn't tighten the shackles down with the car off the ground. Well actually if you did, you may see some drop by lifting it back up, loosening the shackles and setting it back on the ground before tightening them back up.

If not you most likely got your drop but from stock height instead of where the car sat before you started...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did tighten everything up while elevated. I will try what you suggested Dennis. That might explain why the passenger side sits about 3/4 inch lower than the drivers side. I did have multi leafs on the car and when I measured from the ground to the fender I measured 28.5 inches on both sides. Now with the new springs I measured 28 on passenger side and 28.75 on the drivers side. I have not driven it yet as I was pretty tired when I completed the job and will need to go through it again and make sure I did not overlook anything and retorque the bolts.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'd do what Dennis suggests and then drive it. I installed the Hotchkis front & rear and it was a little higher than I would have liked....at first. After driving around the block everything settled in. The front has settled just slightly over the past two years and the read has pretty much stayed right where it was after I drove it.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Yup...never tighten suspension components UNTILL the full weight of the car is sitting on it. You can still do this with jack stands, just put them under the axle and lower control arms instead of the frame. Gives you more room to work under it with the weight on the springs.;)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lessons learned! I will try it tonight after work. I just wanted about a 1.5 inch drop which Hotchkis said they would do. The front I hope I can adjust down about an inch with the QA1 coil overs that I have installed.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well tonight I loosened the shacle bolts top and bottom on both sides. I then dropped the car back down and retightened. Drove it around the block and rechecked. No change! Now I did not loosen the nuts that secure the U bolts to the axle. Not sure if that would make a difference or not. Now getting back to what dennis said is it possible that the height I had before with the old multi leafs were already lower than stock. Question is: what is stock height on my car?

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
I don't see where you loosened the front eye bolt...the whole spring pivots on that bolt. Hate to say "do it again' but you should really loosen all 3 mount bolts. Personally I would leave them just loose and drive it up the street and back for it to all settle and then do a final tighten.
You shouldn't need to loosen the u bolts. There isn't any adjustment there...just a flat surface for it all to snug into.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It may be a ghetto way around it, but I'm planning on lowering the rear of my car with blocks. I know if I pull apart the stock setup and add a 2" block, I'll be guaranteed 2" of drop. I also like the idea of being able to quickly and easily return it to stock stance.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
MisterG, most likely your old rear springs were sagging a bit and the ride height was lower than stock. I had the same issue installing my Hotchkis rear springs- the original monoleafs were so worn out I gained ride height.

You could try installing lowering blocks or have the springs re-arched. More work, I know, but it should get you the ride height you want.

·
Retired
26,739 Posts
I don't see where you loosened the front eye bolt...the whole spring pivots on that bolt. Hate to say "do it again' but you should really loosen all 3 mount bolts. Personally I would leave them just loose and drive it up the street and back for it to all settle and then do a final tighten.
You shouldn't need to loosen the u bolts. There isn't any adjustment there...just a flat surface for it all to snug into.
I agree on the U-bolts but once the front spring eye is mounted in the pocket you have to tighten it before installing the pocket. Loosening the 3 bolts holding the pocket in place and dropping the car on the suspension won't change anything. The shackles are the only place on the rear suspension that could effect ride height. You have to loosen both upper and lower shackle bolts for this to work.

Look at how the shackles sandwhich the spring eye as well as the frame rail and you'll get a better understanding of how the ride height can be effected. The front pocket doesn't compress as much against the spring eye and you can't reach the spring eye bolt and nut once the pocket is in place.

Guy I almost posted yesterday and got side tracked (darn work). I would look for tightening the shackles with the car on the suspension to help even out the height from side to side but not really to drop it too much more. Your pic doesn't show the rear too well but it looks like the fender lip is down over the tire quite a bit...

If you could find someone with a stock ride height and have them measure up from the center of the hub to the fender lip and you do the same it will show the drop you got. Subframe bushings can effect how the car sits too as can front end alignment and if you have adjustable coilovers I'd look there for the difference from side to side...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a shot I took last night. As i mentioned the ground to fender lip is 28 3/8 on the driver side and 27 7/8 on the passenger side. I will try and loosen the rear shackle bolts this weekend and lets see what I get. Truly appreciate the info all have sent.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
The stance on your car looks perfect to me. :thumbsup: If you want to fill the rear wheel well up, a slightly taller rear tire would do the trick.

·
Retired
26,739 Posts
I seem to recall that the assembly manual has the dimensions for ground clearance, etc.
I believe those are from the ground to the rocker with stock tires and wheels. Inless you have 14" wheels and the correct size tires all bets are off. Measuring from the center of the hub to the fender lip is a true suspension measurment unless you have cement bags in the trunk...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts