Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I think I found a gem in a barn.

1974 Camaro Type LT (Not sure what Type LT means)
100K orig miles
ALL paperwork including orig window stickers etc.
Body is in near perfect shape...no bondo.
The usual door dings etc.
All Numbers match
350 2bb
Auto
Interior is probably a 6-6.5 out of ten
Fires up and runs.

All in all a VERY clean car for being all original...doesn't "need" paint but could probably use it, would clean up VERY well I believe.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I read your post from last week; Is this a flipper?? What are they asking for it? Need to see pics.

From your description I would think the way it sits maybe 3k-4k?? If you clean it up real nice and replace whatever mechanical it needs, you could maybe get 6k-7k?? I may be way off here, just guessing.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read your post from last week; Is this a flipper?? What are they asking for it? Need to see pics.

From your description I would think the way it sits maybe 3k-4k?? If you clean it up real nice and replace whatever mechanical it needs, you could maybe get 6k-7k?? I may be way off here, just guessing.
May or may not sell it right away if I buy it....VERY nice car. Almost nice enough to hang onto and wait for the appreciation.

Doing some digging for info around the internet now.

NADA has it a low retail of 5k to a high of 20K for an LT, non z-28.
Certainly not 100% accurate....but a start.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
LT is basically just a trim package, like the RS.

"1974 Type LT - Plusher Interior with restyled seats and door trim in cord-ridge fabric or knit vinyl, new woodgrain treatments, color coordinated instrument panel, steering wheel and column. Amberlite insulation blankets included in doors, rear quarters, roof/sail panels, behind rear seat, under package tray and under carpeting. Type LT could be ordered with RPO Z28."

http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/camaro74.html

I can't say how much an original is worth. I see the big bumper cars for sale in the price ranges Steve mentioned, but that is usually with a modified engine. I'm not certain being an original in this case adds much value beyond it being a solid car.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't say how much an original is worth. I see the big bumper cars for sale in the price ranges Steve mentioned, but that is usually with a modified engine. I'm not certain being an original in this case adds much value beyond it being a solid car.
I agree...today. But I think these may be the next wave of car in 10 years to gain value, if not...I have two numbers Matching Survivor Camaros....things could be worse.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The old guy who has this car say he also has a 68 Camaro and a 53 ford sitting in another barn just out of town....would like to see those.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
LT is basically just a trim package, like the RS.
Actually, Type LT replaced the SS option when introduced in 73
I always thought it stood for Luxury Touring, but don't recall where I read that.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Actually, Type LT replaced the SS option when introduced in 73
I always thought it stood for Luxury Touring, but don't recall where I read that.
It does. And you are correct with the 1973 introduction. It ran until '78, after which it was replaced by the Berlinetta.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Darn Unc. You do find em' I bet if you pass on it it will be another butt kicker later on. If you can score it cheap enough and a lil elbow grease will bump the value then i say go for it. Sooner or later they all will be worth somthing.
How many of those big silver bumpers do ya see these days?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Darn Unc. You do find em' I bet if you pass on it it will be another butt kicker later on. If you can score it cheap enough and a lil elbow grease will bump the value then i say go for it. Sooner or later they all will be worth somthing.
How many of those big silver bumpers do ya see these days?
I know they sell cheap now...and if this weren't a Numbers Matching car, with all the paperwork...I probably wouldn't consider it. Add to that the condition of the car, which after a good cleanup should be VERY nice...and I think it is a great car. Granted right now there is no HUGE demand for these cars, there HAS to be in the future. Look at what the 70-72 cars go for...these have to be next.

After looking into it, yes the Type LT replaced the SS...so essentialy this is an "SS". Just get this feeling that it coould be a good investment, and if not....like I said, another nice Numbers Matching, all original piece of Americana.

Any other thoughts, speculations as to the future market of the car...etc.

Would just kick myself in the arse if I look back 15 years from now and say...I coulda bought a REAL nice one of those for X!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Darn Unc. You do find em' I
I spend about 8 hrs a day riding around in rural Georgia doing absolutly nothing....bound to stumble across a few. Got my eye on a 67 Chevelle sitting in a barn also...just gotta get the courage up to knock on the guys door on that one....scary looking place. Any advice for that situation?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Wait, LT did not replace SS. The last SS was in 1972. The LT was introduced in 1973, and could be had with the 2bbl V8 (L-65), low po 4 bbl V8 (LM-1), what was traditinally the base SS V8 (L-48), and also the Z 350. So, if you had an LT with the L-48, I guess you could say you had the model somewhat equivalent to the SS350 cars of 1972. Then again, the SS350 L-48 was rated at 200 net HP in 1972 (last SS350) and at 185 net HP in 1974, so even that isn't an even comparison, especially in a car that gained about 500 lbs in weight in the same period.

I'm not "hating", it's just that an LT is just what I posted, trim and insulation. Could you get an LT with the L-48? Sure. Could you get an LT with the F41 suspension? Yep. You could even get a Z/28 with LT.

And I don't disagree that it will appreciate, if it is bought at a good price. I think you'd have to do a fair amount of research (maybe ask over at NastyZ?) to find out what a fair price is.

I wouldn't mind having one. I had a buddy in high school with a gray 74, solid lifter 350, single plane intake, big holley carb. 12 second car, 4 mpg. My 67 coupe with an LT-1 didn't stand a chance...

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,188 Posts
Big bumper (74-77) second gen's are under appreciated, IMO...
but their value is going up.
My insurance company bumped up the value of mine to $13,000. this year.
(Mine is a one-owner with 52,000mi)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wait, LT did not replace SS. The last SS was in 1972. The LT was introduced in 1973, and could be had with the 2bbl V8 (L-65), low po 4 bbl V8 (LM-1), what was traditinally the base SS V8 (L-48), and also the Z 350. So, if you had an LT with the L-48, I guess you could say you had the model somewhat equivalent to the SS350 cars of 1972. Then again, the SS350 L-48 was rated at 200 net HP in 1972 (last SS350) and at 185 net HP in 1974, so even that isn't an even comparison, especially in a car that gained about 500 lbs in weight in the same period.

I'm not "hating", it's just that an LT is just what I posted, trim and insulation. Could you get an LT with the L-48? Sure. Could you get an LT with the F41 suspension? Yep. You could even get a Z/28 with LT.

And I don't disagree that it will appreciate, if it is bought at a good price. I think you'd have to do a fair amount of research (maybe ask over at NastyZ?) to find out what a fair price is.

I wouldn't mind having one. I had a buddy in high school with a gray 74, solid lifter 350, single plane intake, big holley carb. 12 second car, 4 mpg. My 67 coupe with an LT-1 didn't stand a chance...
Yeah, I agree that it is an "Trim Level Package"...but on the NastyZ site it says that the LT took the place of the SS....maybe they meant in the line up of Camaro sub models.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Uncle i ran up on a 74 Z/28 in about the same condition as youre discribing this car. The price was a little high (5k) but i still bought it and put it away, thinking the same as you are, that these will be the next cars to bring in some high numbers, and a matching car in anything with original doucuments in my opinion is worth investing in. Frank

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Yeah, I agree that it is an "Trim Level Package"...but on the NastyZ site it says that the LT took the place of the SS....maybe they meant in the line up of Camaro sub models.
Right... It's not a "renaming" of the SS package. SS was dropped, there was a hole in the linup, so in stepped the type LT. :D

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Uncle i ran up on a 74 Z/28 in about the same condition as youre discribing this car. The price was a little high (5k) but i still bought it and put it away, thinking the same as you are, that these will be the next cars to bring in some high numbers, and a matching car in anything with original doucuments in my opinion is worth investing in. Frank
That's my feeling on this. I also think, and I could be WAY off, that the TYPE LT may be a unique thing to have way down the road. I see lots of Z's and plenty of Coupes...but I have seen very few of these with the badging this one has. Maybe I just haven't paid that much attention.

Like I said I could be completely wrong on all counts....just cool to run into an all original, unmolested, papered car in this kind of condition. Maybe, based on the car I already have, I am becoming somewhat of a soft heart for these all original cars ....like preserving history to me.

For that reason this car may be worth a little more (to me) than the run of the mill 74-78 that is out there at a lower price.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The car being original and doumented is worth a lot i think. as for the LT's not sure if there rare or not, but i have had a few of them and remember seening a good many of them over the years. I feel that in years to come its only going to be cars like this one your looking at, that are going to bring good money, any pictures of this gem yet ?? Frank

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The car being original and doumented is worth a lot i think. as for the LT's not sure if there rare or not, but i have had a few of them and remember seening a good many of them over the years. I feel that in years to come its only going to be cars like this one your looking at, that are going to bring good money, any pictures of this gem yet ?? Frank
Gonna try to get some today...this old guy is somewhat ...how do I say...."grumpy". Nice enough guy, just your typical grizzled old guy.
I think he wants a little more than it is worth...but he seems to know cars.
Someone offered him 500 bucks for it a while back and I think he is a little bitter....:)

Like I said, I haven't looked around for these much so there may be tons of LT's out there...I had just not seen many. I would like to see if he'll come off it a little bit more from what he wants...maybe he's just tired of tire kickers and kids looking at it. Have a feeling if I showed up with a wad of hundreds and put it on the table he may be a little nicer and more negotiable. I'll see If I can get a few pics.

Would LOVE to see if he'll work a package deal on the 68 he has also...haven't seen it though.

Just get this gut feeling that, as I said before, I'll kick myself 15 years from now for not buying this car ....I think value will double or triple by then.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,623 Posts
go for it!!

and dont forget about the guy with the chevelle, thats the next car i want, 67.

good luck.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts