Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They call it Painless wiring, but it really ins't. I guess I need more patience. I ordered the 18 circuit one for my 68 Camaro becuase I wanna install AC, Power locks and windows and that sorta stuff. Well I open the box and I see wires bouncing up toward me. How much will it cost (and labor hours) for someone else to rewire my entire car? Im calling this thing a project car but I'm not exactly an electrician.

------------------
68 Base Coupe v8 Camaro got for graduation. 327 60 over with sucky gears in back.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just completed an install of the 18 circuit harness in a '40 Ford pickup. It just took time (two days) to install it. The finished product looked & worked awesome. We hid plenty of the wires for a clean look.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think that the name may be a bit misleading, but if you are willing to take the time, it shouldn't be that bad.

A complete wiring loom sitting on the garage floor can be intimidating! (I know!)

What you have to do is think about the fact that you should only consern yourself with one "circuit" at a time. Let's say that it's the lights. Heck, you can wire the lights. Once that's done and tested, go to the starter circuit. Heck, you can wire the starter circuit.

Nothing harder here than wiring up an aftermarket stereo and amp!!!

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference Section

·
15,370 Posts
Sik68,

Wes is right on.... break it down into the different circuits and before you know it, it's all done. Make yourself a list of which wire bundles or groups are for each circuit and check them off as they are wired and tested. This way it's easier to keep track of your work. We're behind ya 100% man!
Good luck and don't forget to step back and take a breath if things start getting to you.

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
[email protected]
'69 wallet crusher
'97 Blazer - Bad wheel hop!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ya, I say do it your self... Its good to do things yourself... Make sure you have a nice clean groung on all of your connections (bare metal) Good Luck...

------------------
Black 67 Camaro

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm about 80% complete on my re-wiring job. I'm installing the complete wiring harness from an 89 third gen into my 68. Believe me, I know it looks difficult but the above advice is good advice. I installed the TPI motor and tranny into the cradle and just laid the 89 harness and steering column on the floorboard and hooked up the grounds and battery turned the key and started the motor. From there, I tackled it one circuit at a time starting with the ignition switch relocation. Again, turn the key and started the motor to check. so on and so on.

Keep the faith,
Roy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts