Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67' rs/ss that will not start. When I turn the key on it clicks on the Drivers side fender but no noise out of the starter. I can jump the starter with a screwdriver but that is the only way. In the last three days, I have put on a new starter, coil, re-wired it from the firewall to the starter and gained half a head of gray hairs! I am stumped!

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
you are not getting enough current through the system to energize the solenoid. If it'll start with a screwdriver, the starter is fine. Clicks on the drivers side? Wierd. That's where the horn relay is. Those terminals are used as a power distribution center. Lots of big wires and fusible links. Maybe one of the fusible links is blown?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
you are not getting enough current through the system to energize the solenoid. If it'll start with a screwdriver, the starter is fine. Clicks on the drivers side? Wierd. That's where the horn relay is. Those terminals are used as a power distribution center. Lots of big wires and fusible links. Maybe one of the fusible links is blown?

·
10,144 Posts
If it's an automatic, check the neutral safety switch.

JimM makes a good point about checking the fuseable links.

I've seen where they can partially blow but limit the current to the starter circuts. Just like a resistor.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Homepage
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts