Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger side tail light on my 1969 Nova is bright all the time like the brake pedal is pressed. The turn signal doesn't work on that side either. I recently replaced the original lamp socket with a generic one from the local auto parts chain (also the drivers side). Can anyone give me an idea on what to look for?

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Should be an 1157 socket assy. Sounds like maybe your grounded all the time?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Dual filament bulbs are bayonet based with indexing nubs to make the bulb install one-way only. I found on a friend's car where someone had "forced" the bulb in...the wrong way, which resulted in just what you are experiencing.

Start with the bulb, make sure it is not damaged or have conductive debris between the two bottom terminals and examine the inside of the bulb socket for corrosion, trash, etc.

I have also experienced that not all aftermaket bulbs are equal, some of the cheaper brands don't mate very well with some sockets.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Since you said you recently replaced the socket my guess is that you have the wires reversed. Don't trust the color coding on the aftermarket socket. Try swapping the wires.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm fairly sure that the bulb is installed correctly but I will check that, the ground and the wire colors later tonight.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NHBandit and Badbird got it right. Reversed the wires and all is well with the light. Who would think that the Chinese would cross the wires?

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Glad you got it fixed, always good to have a test light handy!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts