Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally i can take it for a blast! :hurray:

the glass guys installed the front and rear windows last night. the guy said he has put glass in a lot of older cars. it did come out nice. the glass is from the kit i got fom GP superstore. after some confusion i finally got all the right pieces. those two fit nicely. i would have gone tonight, but my wife was working and i did not want to take my 3 year old on the first ride in case anything happened.

here is a picture.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w48/msenmartin/frontglass.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w48/msenmartin/backtintedglass.jpg

does the depth on the back window look right?

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w48/msenmartin/backdepth.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
WOW, Mark, I didn't notice before that the paint is metallic too !! :thumbsup:

The rear glass does look rather low in the channel. I believe the aftermarket glass is a little thinner than OEM and if they used 5/16 ribbon sealer instead of 3/8, that will drop it more. The test will be if the trim sits firmly against it when installed.

I didn't see any threads on fitment problems before, did you need to exchange some ??

I took mine out for a "spin" around the neighborhood yesterday after I put new brakes and front tires on it. Now there is a foot of snow in the driveway...:D I got an email from a local guy who wants to come see it tomorrow and doesn't care about the snow. I told him to come on over, but don't expect it's going out of the shop !!:noway:

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i snaped the trim on the back window. when in place, it is flush with the body and tight on the glass. is this right? does anyone have a pic they can share? it looks pretty good. the body guy fixed the little rust that was around the channel. the rounded part of the trim isn't as tight. i don't know if it is the body guy's fault or the aftermarket trim from classic ind. i think i can tweek it to look good though.

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Sounds like it's OK, Mark. If the glass was too low the trim wouldn't sit tight on it. I don't know how the aftermarket trim fits the contours of a body. I usually look for vintage trim on eBay, when I need it.

Mine has a vinyl roof and it may not give an accurate view of the trim to metal, but if you want I can get a good closeup of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
its the trim....aftermarket trim usually fits poorly in the corners...the thickness of the glass shouldnt matter,either...this should be a urethane set backglass and w/s...they should use a high viscosity material that will allow it to "pad up" to the moulding even if its 3 sixteenths instead of quarter inch tempered...i`d look for some vintage chrome if it bothers you...

·
Registered
518 Posts
So did you take it for a spin? It was only a few months ago I was in the same position. Installing all the glass. Now I've got about 1300 miles on the car and drive it every chance I get.

God I love my 6 speed!

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1stgenCR, I just got home from the first real ride (other than going around the block) stopped at the corner to get gas. $20 got 3/4 tank.

then i was off. it ran great!!!
shifts good, steers and brakes. i dont have the side windows in yet, but no a/c so they would be open anyway.

i had changed the electric thermostat part of the electric fan system. it kicked on at about 160 and the car stayed about 190.
i live on a small island. only 5 miles long. but i went to see a friend at the other end and back.

i couldn't be happier with it. i totally got my money's worth for the 6g's i paid for the car.

i have been trying to decide on the first real mod to do. after tonight i know it will be the power disk conversion. it stops good for manual drums. straight, even if i let go of the wheel. but it is either spend money on that or a membership to the gym! your legs get a workout.

you can bet i will need gas again by sunday night. i plan on putting some miles on this weekend.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Awesome. Glad to hear you got it out on the road.

One downside I've noticed is that lately instead of day dreaming about the next step I need to take to finish the car I day dream about driving it. I hope I don't loose my motivation to add all the finishing touches :p

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
It looks like they used a 5/16 Buytl instead of 3/8 which is why it is to deep. MD88IROC, There were no fitment issues. We sent the wrong kit and had to exchange it. Our booboo.

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
It looks like they used a 5/16 Buytl instead of 3/8 which is why it is to deep. MD88IROC, There were no fitment issues. We sent the wrong kit and had to exchange it. Our booboo.
Now that's the way to take care of a customer...:thumbsup:

There's a bar in Minneapolis called "Stand up Franks"...I thought of it as soon as I read this....:D

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GP superstore, frank is a sponser here.
great customer service and a great product. so far i have the front, rear, both roll down and 1 quarter glass in. everything fits nice. just 1 quarter and both vent windows to go. (waiting on trim)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts