Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here I was thinking I was coming to the end of my wiring fiasco. Ha. All wiring in place and various things are not working, or at least working how they should. Figure I'll throw them out here and see if others have run into them.

Turn on left turn signal, only left rear tail lamp blinks, no parking light blink nor does dash turn signal blink.

Turn on right turn signal, all parking lamps and both tail lamps blink.

Turn on parking lights only...nothing lights up.

Turn on headlights, no parking lights nor do tail lights work...only headlights work.

Dash cluster, nothing lights up with the exception of the turn signals, but only when engaging the right turn signal.

High beams work, but high beam indicator does not.

Reverse lights don't come on.

That's about it for the moment...haven't installed any thing else to see if it doesn't work or not. If you have some suggestions please throw them out there as I don't understand why none of these things are working correctly, seemed really simple in the instructions. FYI, I used the AAW Classic Update Kit and replaced the entire wiring harness front to back along with all of their supplied switches, fuses, and stuff.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
With this and the horn relay question I just responded to, I think your best bet is to go back over the diagrams and confirm again that you have everything connected correctly, then check all your grounds to make sure they are good.

Call AAW at 800-482-WIRE . If the phone system there is still the same, "9" will get you to "dial by name". Enter "BOCK" to get Donny Bock. He will walk you through what you need to check, and he is very patient and friendly, so he won't make you feel inferior because you need to ask for help.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I to am an engineer and tend to just do things then when I run into problems spend hours trying to figure it out instead of just calling the support desk. Heck, before the internet made these boards available it was just trial and error for sometimes weeks at a time to fix a stupid problem.

I'll give him a ring. Thanks

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
A lot of this sounds like ground problems.

The tail lights ground thru thier mounting bolts, new fresh paint will kill that ground, star washers will fix it.

All the other exterior lights on a 68 have a separate ground wire. Again, star washers are your friend here.

With the dual filament bulbs and parallel current paths, bad grounds can do some real weird stuff.

Last summer, I lost a ground on my pass side front parking light.
Symptoms: Parking light and turn signals appeared to work fine on the outside regardless of if the headlights were on or not. (close inspction would show that both filaments were burning on that bulb if ehter the parking lights or the turn signals were on.)
The left turn indicator in the dash always lit if the parking lights or headlights were on.

weird stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts