Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be finishing up my 68 next month and i have a ?. i'm redoing all the interior but want to keep the original speedometer with the odometer on it. my ? is how do i reset the mileage on the odometer so when i drop in the new engine i can keep track of the miles on the engine?
thanks,
zack 68

·
11,296 Posts
Well, if it is the original odometer, then changing it is a federal offence. The milage shown is for the car, not the engine. Write down the milage when you put the engine in and work from that point.

If you are replacing the speedo and want to match the original miles
use a reversable drill on the speedo cable.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i didn't know it was illegal. i thought since our cars were so old that the mileage aspect of the car was exempt. i figured this because i saw exempt on the milage area of my owners title.
but i guess you learn something new everyday

zack 68

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
In 1981 Feds declared it "illegal" to alter odometer readings on a motor vehicle. Before that it was only illegal to certify altered milage as correct. HOWEVER..... it is still legal to "repair" or replace an odometer. You are then required to place a sticker on vehicle telling what original odometer reading was when repaired or replaced, and the new odometer reading. It is FRAUD to then certify milage as "correct", however it is not yet illegal to "repair" a non-working part.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow all of a sudden i think i need to "repair"
my odometer. not really guys. i'll just have to write down the mileage like it was suggested and go from there. thanks for keeping me out of trouble guys

zack 68

1 - 7 of 7 Posts