Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Only the '67 car's did, the '66 car's didn't have one...

I think like from March, '67 on??? Probably about the time the Z-28 and 396SS's came out(???)....

And the 'Bird's had two instead of one(???).....

At least my Dec. '66, 350SS car doesn't have one on it..

pdq67

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, okay - well then there's a chance mine are OE. I'll try to get a pic up soon. Anyone have a pic of what the OE ones looked like? Mine are rectangular tubing with an angle cut toward the front where the snubber mounts.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Wait a minute!!

Snubbers????

The stock radius rod traction bars are made like a panhard bar and DON'T have snubbers! and they are mounted above the springs, and thru-bolted on both ends..

I figure that you have aftermarket bolt-on Lakewood slapper-bars....

pdq67

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, yeah those sound nothing like what I have. They function like Lakewoods but they don't look quite like the lakewood's I have seen.. maybe reeeeallly old Lakewood's or some homemade ones?

Either way I was more interested in whether or not 67's had them at all rather than whether or not mine were OE. It sounds like that's a yes and that ends an argument me and a friend had :)

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
No, they never had "slappers" on them from the factory!!

BUT they might/did, depending on engine, have either one or maybe two radius rod traction control devices above the leaf springs on them from the factory probably after March 1, '67 tho..

pdq67

PS., and I love my old beat-up, homemade "slappers"!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a novenber 66 camaro ss/rs with traction arm. Mine is a small block car. I believe z/28s and big block cars came with a square bar and small block cars had the round bar.It was attached to a bracket on the rt rear axle tube and to bracket on the rt rear frame rail.If you have an assembly manual this will give you some idea of what it loks like and how it attaches.
Camaro George :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
yea the firebirds had a couple of different setups for traction bars... the high hp cars like the 400's and ram airs came with two traction bars from the factory. the lesser powered pontiacs came with 1 bar and then the 6 cylinders came with none lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts