Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have not had very good luck with them. There are other resto places that I would rather buy from. OER is "classic industries" and they are only about 10 miles from my house but I choose to elsewhere for better quality. And I dont say this just to foul mouth them. I have also got some things from them that were ok. But not alot.

------------------
Black 69 camaro

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I just bought several OER parts for my '69. I took the windshield pillar moldings back. They did not fit as good as the originals. I redyed my originals and they look very good.

I installed the OER dash. Much better than my original. However, I noticed the other day that the top of the dash is about 1/2 to 3/4 short (from side-to-side). It leaves a gap on the passenger side next to the pillar molding. It is by no means a concours restoration part, but is a very good part for the average street driven car.

The arm rest bases look good and the color matches well. However, the plastic is too thin. They are not as opaque as the originals if you hold them up to a light. Otherwise, they seem fine.

I bought the rear view mirror base cover and did not use it. The front lip wasn't the correct shape and it didn't look good when you looked into the interior thru the windshield. Again, I cleaned up and reused my original part. It is a little warped, but still looks better than the new OER part.

Of course, when I took the parts back, I got the story that no one else had sent them back. Be sure to return parts if you don't like the way they fit. The reason we get stuck with crappy parts is because we buy them.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've bought at least $4000 worth of plastic interior pieces and exterior chrome repro parts from the Repro houses. Many of the non OER chrome repo parts such as the exterior door handles, mirrors and especially emblems look very nice for the money. Some are even BETTER than GM parts such as the repro door handles. As far as many of the OER interior plastic pieces are concerned... I'd recommend first trying to clean-up the orginials first... and as a LAST resort buy the OER. I've bought OER tail light lenses and Dash Fuel and Dash Speedo lenes and they are JUNK! I must admit.. they're not expensive... but the quality is awhful. They tell me the same story... "Nobody else has problems with them"... hum... well... then I must be the only anal Camaro guy

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Based on all the negative crap I have heard about repop (OER or otherwise) I have replaced virtually all my repop pieces with NOS or excellent used. I have found ebay to be a good source. Sometimes I pay a little more, but there's lots of stuff to choose from. I've been burned a couple of times, but mostly, the part is as good as, or better than expected.

BEST DEALS
Near perfect door weatherstrip $15
Near perfect a-pillar moldings $15
Near perfect headliner trim $25

WORST DEALS
Fender emblem (that was actually a header emblem with the "by Cheverolet" cut off) $10
Perfect black A/C kick panel vent cover (which was actually a deformed green one, painted black with hardware store paint) $20

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I wouldn't buy any "padded" repro stuff like dask pads, arm rests and 68-69 pillar moldings..they're rubbery and look bad..Just Dashes will redo those pieces and although the price is a bit high, if you care about your project, you'll make the investment.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Just Dashes cannot do '69 dashes at this point. The original dash is actually plastic (urethane?) molded over a plastic backing and foam core. The '67 and '68 dashes are foam cores with a vacuum formed vinyl cover.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The repro outer door handles look good new.Tell me what you think in a year or two.I'll spring for NOS when i buy the new ones to replace my pitted repros that were new three years ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts