Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently installed the console gauges from OER in my 69. The temperature gauge only rises a small amount when the engine is hot. The old gauge I had showed the engine temperature at about 200 degrees when fully warmed up. I also replaced the sending unit with the one recommended and purchased from the retailer who sold me the gauges. Any thoughts? Is there a specific sending unit I should buy?

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
33,291 Posts
Depth of sensor into coolant has alot to do with the reorting temp. A shallow sending unit will show lower temp.

You might take a 0-1K potentimeter and one of the outside terminals to groud and the center terminal the wire for the gauge and turn the pot for the gauge to read your normal value, then use your DMM in ohms fuction and measure what you dialed in. The ohms value should be around 180-150 ohms.

The sender should read the same, wire terminal to ground. If not, the sending unit case may not have a good ground with the block/head. Or, it may be the wrong sending unit for the gauge, regardless what the gauge dealer suggests.

Just remember, the less resistance, meaning the higher temp, the hotter the gauge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. I have a Wells TU12 sending unit. The resistance reads the same across the unit as it does from the center terminal to ground. However, at operating temperature, the resistance is jut 65ohms. Do you think the sending unit is bad or is the wrong one? Autozone shows this unit as the one for a 69 Camaro with gauges. Of course I have the OER repro gauges.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
where is your sending unit? in the head? in the intake?

this will have alot to do with the temp reading.......

·
Super Moderator
33,291 Posts
Thanks for the information. I have a Wells TU12 sending unit. The resistance reads the same across the unit as it does from the center terminal to ground. However, at operating temperature, the resistance is jut 65ohms.
You're welcome. If the sending unit ohms out at 65 ohms from center terminal to ground, gauge should be reading over to hot side when hooked up. What has me puzzled is the reading across the unit? Measure the sending unit cold from the center terminal to ground.

As asked, the location of the sending unit would be drvr cylinder head?

You might visit your electronics friend, or Radio Shack, and get a 100 ohm, 200 ohm resistors and clamp one lead of the resistor onto the valve cover bolt the other lead into the wire for the gauge. Apply power and see the gauge reading. 200 ohms s/b approx 180*-200*, and 100 ohms s/b hot. Or tie the wire to ground and gauge should read way hot, as in totally to the right side.

Maybe a Wells TU6 sending unit might work, I don't know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts