Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iM LOOKING AT A SET OF TT2,S 15X7 &15X8, MOST OF THE THREADS ARE SAYING TO GO WITH 4.5 OR 4.75 BACKSPACING. tHE ONES IM LOOKING AT HAVE A -6 OFFSET AND 3.75 BACKSPACE. wHAT IS THE -6 OFFSET MEAN?

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Sounds like they are going to stick in to far..(-6) sounds like it will hit the inner wheel house!!

·
Retired
26,615 Posts
Follow this link and scroll down to the Backspace to Offset Conversion Chart... https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

A 7" with a -6mm offset is 3.75" back space and an 8" with -6 is 4.25" back space.

Looking at the picture, if the mounting surface was right on the wheel center line it would be 0 offset. If it's to to the front it's positive and to the rear it's negative. Positive offset is a deeper back spacing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so what your saying is offset is the same as backspacing, My next ? is my 68 has all new parts stock suspension parts, what I want to go with 15x7 front 15x8 back torque thrust 2,s what backspacing do I want? What is stock backspacing on 68 camaro?

·
Retired
26,615 Posts
so what your saying is offset is the same as backspacing, My next ? is my 68 has all new parts stock suspension parts, what I want to go with 15x7 front 15x8 back torque thrust 2,s what backspacing do I want? What is stock backspacing on 68 camaro?
Yes and No, mostly no... Offset is the distance from the wheels mounting pad to the center line of the wheel. Back spacing is the total of the wheels center line and the offset.

Not sure of stock back spacing because there were a couple different size wheels used. With a 15x7 you want somewhere between 4" and 4.5" of back spacing. On the rear with a 15x8 you'll want about 5" of backspacing...

The best way to figure this out is to pull your wheels and measure with a square and a straight edge. Use this drawing to help you...

If you have an 8" wheel how much room do you have from the mounting surface to the inside fender area or frame rail? If you have 6" than a 5" back spacing should fit and all you need is about 4" from the mounting surface to the fender lip because the wheel will stick out 3" 5+3=8. You can do the same for the front...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts