Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a question. Had a 383 Stroker built & they used a Moroso 7Qt pan. The dipstick wasn't installed in the block b/c something was hitting the dipstick when inserted all the way. I am wondering how much oil should I buy? Is it exactly 7 qts since thats the size of the pan or should I add more for the filter as well?
Also I did buy a pan mounted dipstick since the Moroso has a provision on the driver side of the oil pan. I assume that after I fill the appropriate amount of oil, thats where I mark the line on the dipstick?

thanks

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
NOTE:The dipstick collar or flange may bind preventing the dip stick from seating; thus preventing the stick from positioning in the Milidon Pan. I've found that after market Oil Pan Dipstick tubes have a slightly larger radius at the top. You can stuff the hole and use a file or pipe cutter to lessen the radius. You really do not require more then 5 Qts in the engine to prevent windage. I would check what I've captioned, fill the Oil Filter and put a max of 5 Qts in the engine then mark the dip stick accordingly using a hacksaw blade or grinder disc. Just don't cut the Dip Stick rod too short during the procedure or you will be looking for another stick - can you believe a L89 OEM stick sells for over $400 on eBay - lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. I will fill up 5 qts & then mark the dipstick. The shop that installed the engine said the windage tray was blocking the dipstick from being fully inserted. not sure if this was a guess or not.
Made a mistake with the brand, it's a Moroso not Milodon. I'm sure that makes no difference.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I have a 7 or 8 quart Milodon.
It has kickouts on the sides so the oil level doesn't rise with the higher capacity.
If yours has kickouts, you need to fill it to the right level or you'll be low on oil level ( and volume)and risk cavitating.

Oil is a good thing.
Tim
412 SBC no juice or trannybreak
10.85/126 mph

·
3,424 Posts
norcal, (name ?? )

The Moroso pans are designed to work fine with the correct amount of oil. The 7 qts is for the pan by itself, you will have to add more for the filter. The best way to do it is to start with a dry pan, put in 7 qts of oil, then mark your dipstick. Rung the engine and then shut it off and let it sit for a while. Then fill to your previously made full mark.

Oil does a lot more than lubricate. It contributes a bunch to cooling internal engine parts. Why on earth would you want to buy a 7 qt pan and then just put 5 qts in it ??

Just my opinion,

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
norcal, (name ?? )

The Moroso pans are designed to work fine with the correct amount of oil. The 7 qts is for the pan by itself, you will have to add more for the filter. The best way to do it is to start with a dry pan, put in 7 qts of oil, then mark your dipstick. Rung the engine and then shut it off and let it sit for a while. Then fill to your previously made full mark.

Oil does a lot more than lubricate. It contributes a bunch to cooling internal engine parts. Why on earth would you want to buy a 7 qt pan and then just put 5 qts in it ??

Just my opinion,
I just found the instructions for the Moroso dipstick i bought & it says the same thing. Fill the oil to oil pan size . Mark the dipstick. Let oil settle then fill the filter. I will follow what you said sincethe Moroso instructions state the same.

Thanks
Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts