Team Camaro Tech banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Put it anyway you like, the oil companies, crude or other will continue to make huge profits because really their is nothing we or the goverment will or can do about it. Making the kind of tax dollars that the goverment is, why would they? We the ones paying the price at the pumps, what are we going to do? stop driving? we can't even arrange a day when evryone parks their car so thats not going to happen. Overall its a sad sitituation thats rooted in greed.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
No one has mentioned the fact that the price of crude has gone crazy and big oil makes a fair amount of their profit from the sale of crude.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Two things!

Carpool AND SLOW DOWN!!

Example: Two driving means you have cut your gas comsumption 50 percent!

Three rotating means a 66.6 percent decrease!!

Slowing down from 77 to 60 means your gas mileage might go up by 20 percent!!

So what is that extra 7 minutes for a one way 30 mile commute worth to you??

$900/year at 33 mpg going slower increasing it to right at 40mpg in my 2003 Accent!

??????

I talked a Buddy of mine into buying a new Suzuki Esteam 4-door b/c he drives 120 a day to work several years ago! He was driving an old Neisan(Sp?) P/U that was getting 23 or so mpg.

He gets right a 34 or so driving the wheels off the Esteam AND he said, it's great having an extra 10 or so dollars in his pocket for a 12-pack of GOOD suds at the end of the week!!

pdq67

·
Registered
3,910 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Brackneyc said:
I define a ripoff as when the product you buy is falsely advertised to induce you to buy it, and it turns out to be something different that the advertisers claim.

Sounds like your talking about Microsoft software. Talk about a company making BILLIONS!!! They produce product at a low cost, sell it to businesses or end users at a huge markup, (with almost no competition by the way). Then these customers become unpaid quality control analysts who report problems. Allowing Microsoft to deliver a product before its ready and reduce QC costs.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Right!

Somewhere there is a thread with the story about how bad GM's cars would really be if they ran like M/S's programs!!

BAD, BAD, BAD!!

pdq67

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
If I, like the big oil companies, only made a 10% profit in my business I would give up and put my money in the bank. That way I would not have to put up with all the investigations!

·
Registered
436 Posts
You guys with your "gas" problems .
..... Try driving a Diesel semi truck at 4 MPG ( That's FOUR MILES PER GALLON) and 2-80 gallon tanks @ $3.50 a gallon!

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I have driven a '75, Ford F-750 5-speed/2-speed 391" V-8 6-wheeler that got 4 mpg so know just what you mean!!

It was quite a deal when we got the new '84, Ford LN-7000 Cat diesel that got 8+ mpg b/c with it's twin 50 gallon tanks I could drive 800 miles AND never shut it off IF I missed the Scales!! Which I did ALL the time back then..

16 hours AND no pee break several times!!

I will never forget the time my Boss went with me to Pratville, AL and we left at 7:45 AM. He never said a word until 6:00 PM came around and he said, "I was going to see just how far you would drive the truck, but don't you think it is supper time"??

And I said, we have at least 150 miles to go before we hit the Holiday Inn we were staying in that night as we went by Huntsville, AL!

He never went with me again!! He, He!!

pdq67

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I hear you about diesel milage, why is diesel more? It takes less refining now thats where the gouging is going on, there htting us crude burners. I have 4 KWs with 525 N-14's and all are pulling 105,500# with twin 120's you want my mounthly fuel bill? Heck our off road diesel bills are up to where our on road bills used to be 6 months ago. I would really like to know how much it costs the Arabs to produce a barrel of crude. I read once that OPEC has never said nor will it what it costs to produce a barrel of crude. But you sure dont get all those gold palaces at 10% profits.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I don't mind profits and don't mind paying more when prices go up with standard increases of living each year. But when you jump gas by $2/gal or more in one year, the whole economy is affected at every level. Someone said no one forces you buy gas, but you are still affected with every gal of milk you buy, every stick of gum at the convenience store, every roll of toilet paper you wipe your a$$ with. That stuff has to get to the store somehow and that takes fuel. Now if I got a raise to go with cost of living increase every year or a raise to offset fuel expenses, I wouldn't care. But when you disrupt the core of the economy like gasoline can, a recession is likely. I will be interested to see just how much spending will be down at Christmas time this year.

Mike

·
Retired
26,596 Posts
MStennes said:
I would really like to know how much it costs the Arabs to produce a barrel of crude. I read once that OPEC has never said nor will it what it costs to produce a barrel of crude. But you sure dont get all those gold palaces at 10% profits.
We only get 30% of our oil from middle east countries, why would you single out Arabs? Are they setting the standard and the other producers are following? "gold palaces"?? :clonk:

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Ok Dennis you got me with that one. My point was and NO I'm not singleing out Arabs but, you have seen the Saudi and Kuwaiti palaces that were built and bought with oil money. What the money has done for their country how nice and modern everything is. My point was they are making well over 10% profits. No I'm not blaming them but you know as well as I do OPEC does have to much control on the world economy. Who really paid for all the oil exploration and drilling over there? I think my real point was why is diesel so expensive? There has got to be price gouging there. Now I'll quit while my tail is still between my legs.......

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Funny, but I'm slowly beginning to see our American Indians ways of looking at this old rock.

Our earth's treasures should, (in a PERFECT WORLD), be equally split between everybody b/c we all live on this old rock together! BUT that sure ain't the case!

Robber Baron's and Corporate greed enter into the picture now doesn't it..

Governments are as bad if not worse b/c they know that the higher something is, the more taxes they get!! AND that money sure the h-ll isn't split up right at all now is it!!

I know companies have to make a profit guys, but come on!! When is enough, enough?? Never enough probably!!

I'm watching vast sums of money changing hands while kids are getting killed so rich old Basta-ds can get richer! And for what, they can't take it with them now can they??

AND it's interesting reading in the daily news how Gov is going to cut spending to attempt to balance the budget!

Give me a break! What trickle down economy we even have is b/c of all levels of Gov. spending so when that crap dries up and we still have to pay for MANDATED PROGRAMS, the money is going to come from taxing the poor AND what's left of the middle class through sales taxes probably, imho.. NOT by so much through property taxes b/c then the rich would get hit too!!

Not happy at all and all I can say again is "slow down AND carpool!!"

Love those guys, they are a hoot!!

pdq67

·
Registered
267 Posts
Simply put, it's ALL POLITICAL, as I have stated many times. But since we are NOT allowed to discuss the REAL reasons things are why they are, all we can do is talk about the problem, not the SOLUTION. (Sort of like you hear a rod bearing knocking in your engine, you may talk about it, but not be allowed to tear into the engine to find out what the REAL problem is). So sad, but I guess in a "vanilla" world, that's about it. Too bad, because once the mass of people know the reason, a grassroots movement can happen, and things get fixed in a hurry (take for example the French Revolution). It will eventually happen here, but not until the masses of "sheeple" understand the "who, what, and why" behind their problems.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
pdq67 said:
Funny, but I'm slowly beginning to see our American Indians ways of looking at this old rock.

Our earth's treasures should, (in a PERFECT WORLD), be equally split between everybody b/c we all live on this old rock together!
C'mon pdq, even you don't believe that. There is no one stopping "you" from giving away anything and everything over and above what you need. Take the first step and give till' it hurts.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
b-boy said:
Simply put, it's ALL POLITICAL, as I have stated many times. But since we are NOT allowed to discuss the REAL reasons things are why they are, all we can do is talk about the problem, not the SOLUTION. (Sort of like you hear a rod bearing knocking in your engine, you may talk about it, but not be allowed to tear into the engine to find out what the REAL problem is). So sad, but I guess in a "vanilla" world, that's about it. Too bad, because once the mass of people know the reason, a grassroots movement can happen, and things get fixed in a hurry (take for example the French Revolution). It will eventually happen here, but not until the masses of "sheeple" understand the "who, what, and why" behind their problems.
Without being political (I'm sure you can figure out how to do that) why not tell us what all of the problems are. If your claims are supported by evidence, (real evidence, not internet blogs and garbage like that) I am sure Dennis would let it go, since he too would benefit from knowing the answers to all of our problems. My guess is that your solution will be nothing more than slanted rant about our current crop of politicians, in which case would make you a partisan with an agenda. That is what Dennis seems to want to avoid. He has on several occasions let political talk go by as long as this forum isn't used as a sounding board for the X-files crowd.

So, in a calm and rational manner, enlighten us.

PS. Leaving out words like Sheeple, Vanilla World and "its all political" will likely help in keeping the thread open, and at the same time give us the information about the "who, what, and why" behind our problems.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Brackneyc,

I know.

Not practical at all, but if it would ever happen, wouldn't this old rock be a lot better place to live on?

pdq67

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry b-boy, but the French Revolution didn't really work out all that well. It led to something about as bad - only different.

Right on pdq!

World oil production is predicted to peak (essentially forever) next month. The petroleum based economy is all down hill from here.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts