Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine is a November 1966 350. The engine was rebuilt years ago but never run so I pulled the oil pan off to check everything over and then just put the pan back on. I need to install a dipstick tube for the engine. I watched a Youtube video of a guy installing and sealing the oil dipstick tube. In his video, he showed a dipstick "guide tube" inside the oil pan in addition to the dipstick tube on the outside. Mine did not have a "guide tube". So, my question is what is the correct assembly for this engine? Is it supposed to have a "guide tube" and, if so, is that pressed in from the bottom or does it go through the tube hole from above?

Thanks....

· Registered
1,136 Posts
My engine is a November 1966 350. The engine was rebuilt years ago but never run so I pulled the oil pan off to check everything over and then just put the pan back on. I need to install a dipstick tube for the engine. I watched a Youtube video of a guy installing and sealing the oil dipstick tube. In his video, he showed a dipstick "guide tube" inside the oil pan in addition to the dipstick tube on the outside. Mine did not have a "guide tube". So, my question is what is the correct assembly for this engine? Is it supposed to have a "guide tube" and, if so, is that pressed in from the bottom or does it go through the tube hole from above?

Thanks....
You need both the inner and outer dip stick tube to do it correctly. I made an upper tube indtaller a half century ago as i built engines for a living .To make the install tool go to you junk wrenches drawer and find an open end wrench that fits real snug against the bung on the upper tube cut it off and then weld an old fuelpump push rod to it at a slight angle so you can tap it in with a smear of silicone. Works like a charm . Alex

· Premium Member
5,594 Posts
The inner tube goes in just like the outer tube. No tools required to install the inner tube. You don't absolutely have to have it, but the outer tube will be loose if it's not used. The wrench trick works well to install. I put a small smear of RTV around it before installing.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Darn, I will have to pull the pan back off. The engine is on an engine stand so easy to pull the pan. I used one of the Felpro Permadry gaskets so I think I can reuse it.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had to run to my local muscle car parts place to pickup my special order trunk divider panel. As it turned out, they had a dipstick set (dipstick, upper tube and lower tube) so I picked those up at the same time. I have the lower tube installed and ready to install the upper tube. For the 67 SS 350 does the tube curve straight up from the hole or do you turn it slightly towards the front of the engine?

· Registered
1,200 Posts
Sounds like you have the solution in hand.

If anyone is wondering about how this looks inside the oil pan.

Without interior guide tube:
DSC_2949 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

With interior guide tube:
DSC_2956 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

As far as the upper tube, you can orient it any direction that works best in your engine bay.

I have mine with the bend directed toward the front of the engine.
IMG_4643[1] by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the pics. My car is on a rotisserie right now so setting up the engine on a run stand. Since I am building to stock I was hoping someone could show how it is oriented in a stock 67 SS 350 engine bay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts