Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my oil dipstick tube (detailing my engine) and while doing so I noticed at the bottom there was an "O" ring....of course it got destroyed....my question is...is this just a standard O ring or? The motor is a SB 350. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
is it a chrome dip stick tube?

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
I
... my question is...is this just a standard O ring or? The motor is a SB 350. Thanks in advance for any help.

"yes: - It is a 'standard' neoprene or Buna-N type o-ring :yes:
Wasn't originally used by GM on these older engines as a seal, but was a fairly common modification by some rebuilders and other to help seal the tube at the engine block.
I prefer to use a small bead of clear silicone sealer around the seating buldge of the tube and then insert it into the block - this will hold the tube in place and prevent any windage leaks around the tube seat.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys...yes, it is a chrome tube and yes most likely something the engine rebuilder used....silicone huh? I think I will go that route.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Thanks Guys...yes, it is a chrome tube and yes most likely something the engine rebuilder used....silicone huh? I think I will go that route.
you can get a oring at the auto parts store, just bring in you old oring and stick to match it up!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts